Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Winners

Yppej

Covid Winners

I put this under Environmental Issues because with less travel and a smaller population the environment is a winner.

Same with certain companies like Amazon and some industries. For instance, stay at home people are installing more pools and buying more fireworks.

I am wondering if online schools, having virtual learning down pat, will also see a boom.

Some ICU nurses have gotten extra benefits like limo service to and from work so they do not have to take mass transit, and have also seen pay increases in some areas to draw them to hot spots.

Usually alcohol sales go up in bad times but I haven't heard any data on that this time around. Toilet paper and disinfectant manufacturers for sure are sitting pretty.

Who else do you think is getting or will get a benefit from the pandemic? Let's look for some silver linings instead of all doom and gloom.

Healthcare professionals who can now bill insurance for Telemedicine appointments. Also the patients who might have an easier time getting an appointment.

I did hear that alcohol sales had risen, but it wasn't clear if people were drinking more or drinking patterns had simply changed--i.e., buying large bottles of alcohol for home consumption as opposed to buying drinks at a bar.

Zoom. Zoom meetings and other video meeting platforms are now almost standard practice for business and for events like reunions and birthdays.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Low earning furloughed people who have returned to work in states with high unemployment benefits. They made more while out than they did working, some also worked off the books, and they still have their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Low earning furloughed people who have returned to work in states with high unemployment benefits. They made more while out than they did working, some also worked off the books, and they still have their jobs.
    My son just had to address his "damned if you do/damned if you don't" decision. His boss called him back to his job as a server. He LOVES this restaurant and everyone there. He's the senior server. They are opening 3 nights a week, 50% capacity, reservations only.

He is really scared that he's going to lose his UI benefits to earn $50/night for 3 nights a week. I have told him that he will get UI, but it will be prorated to take into account the few bucks he will be making.

This has been a heated family discussion. DH feels he should offer to work off the books, as you said Y. I say, these are new owners and I don't think they're going to want to risk doing that. Plus it's illegal.

Anyway, this is off topic, but yes, the point about furloughed people who have had a 3 month paid vacation are definite winners. My son is going to use his savings to record some of his music. He should call the album "Songs From the Government."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, tough decision for your son. Tricky, tricky.

Government workers who get full pay for doing none, little, or some of their jobs are winners.

Old people like us on Social Security income streams who have hobbies and interests outside of human gatherings, and who have mechanisms to be outdoors, are winners in that we are enjoying a slower pace of life these days.

Mask, face shield, sanitizer, puzzle and game, arts and craft supply manufacturers...Undertakers. Delivery services.
    This isn't going away any time soon.

I would think streaming services like Netflix etc have seen increases. Maybe. While people have stimulus money, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would think streaming services like Netflix etc have seen increases. Maybe. While people have stimulus money, anyway.
    I'm tempted to (finally) subscribe to Netflix so I can watch the new Unsolved Mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My son just had to address his "damned if you do/damned if you don't" decision. His boss called him back to his job as a server. He LOVES this restaurant and everyone there. He's the senior server. They are opening 3 nights a week, 50% capacity, reservations only.

He is really scared that he's going to lose his UI benefits to earn $50/night for 3 nights a week. I have told him that he will get UI, but it will be prorated to take into account the few bucks he will be making.

This has been a heated family discussion. DH feels he should offer to work off the books, as you said Y. I say, these are new owners and I don't think they're going to want to risk doing that. Plus it's illegal.

Anyway, this is off topic, but yes, the point about furloughed people who have had a 3 month paid vacation are definite winners. My son is going to use his savings to record some of his music. He should call the album "Songs From the Government."
    I'm in the take the job back and get off unemployment camp. There's no future in unemployment, it's a temporary thing. He likes the job, and he is good at it, and when normal times return, he will be in line for the regular pay. If he doesn't take the job back then they give it to someone else, and then he's in a worse position, given how difficult it may be to find work, with some restaurants shutting down.

I would not work off the books, either. Just roll the dice and go back to work and fingers crossed that things turn up for the industry.

I am more impressed with people who go all out to earn a living honestly. He loves his job and if he starts early, will be well thought of and have probably first choices.

Does your husband understand the lesson his is giving your son and what hie suggestion tells his son about his own character?

I think for many people the forced time off was not a vacation. For many, if not most, they are worried about what is going to happen next. Sure, there are always those who brag but the worriers are often very quiet.

Thread Information