Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dental appointment in covid times

I’m going for a routine teeth cleaning in a couple of weeks.

We had a report on our dental office since I have a visit in two days. They use a disposable one time sheet over the chair. All PPEs including face shield. I feel comfortable in our area (maybe not if I lived in TX or FL).

I did go for my cleaning last week and it seemed like they were doing a good job with their measures and precautions.

I guess my dentist wasn’t kidding about still needing to tweak their automatic notification system. I just got an email from them expressing worry that I hadn’t been there for a cleaning in 18 months when I was actually last there in January.

My dentist: we’ve been going to him for almost 30 years. He is one of those super achievers who makes me tired just to talk to him, but I love him. And he’s dying at a young age. He has ALS and he’s in the last stage of it, he retired from dental practice several months ago.

Here’s everything this guy does: he’s an MD in dentistry. He teaches at dentistry college. He’s ex-Navy officer. He’s an arms and weaponry teacher and is certified in such. He scuba dives. He flies airplanes. He rides with a motorcycle club. And oh yeah get this— he is an active duty police officer, working several shifts a month. This —all in addition to a thriving dental practice where he was the leader in this region of developing HIV protocols, so that’s why I’m not worried at all about his office and their response to Covid because they’ve seen this stuff before.

He has inherited ALS which apparently is not well known. His symptoms actually started decades ago and he now relates his symptoms to symptoms his father had, but his father died young of heart disease so never grew into full-blown ALS disease.

Our dentist is famous for an incident in our neighborhood decades ago: there was a domestic dispute in the middle of the street near his office. The male perp had a gun and was shooting it in the air to scare is girlfriend. Our dentist went outside and dealt with that situation, chasing down the perp and holding him until law enforcement could take him away.

It was just another day of service to my neighborhood by Denzel Jines, MD. Dentistry or crime prevention, you choose, he will provide it!

IL, your dentist sounds amazing. How sad for him.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This is something that concerns me as I've sunk money into my teeth in Mexico and now who knows what the future of affordable dentistry in Mexico is? And who know if dental schools will be doing cut rate cleanings in the future in the US? I see a lot of people forced to do without dentistry in the future. Salt water rinses are what I suggest - known to prevent decay and lowering gum lines. And salt remains affordable. Rob

I am sure dental schools will still need patients to train on so I don’t see that as a concern. Travel to Mexico will depend on our virus numbers.

I had a crown fall out and I went to a new dentist who had been recommended. She and her staff were so thorough and careful that I felt fine. I will go back there when I need to.

I alternate every four months between my dentist and my periodontist. I skipped my April perio appointment, but went to my dentist in August. I felt very safe. They hygienist and the dentist both wore masks and shields. I was probably more of a threat to them than them to me.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information