Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental appointment in covid times

Dental appointment in covid times

Today I got a text from my dentist reminding me of my mid-July dental appointment. Now I need to decide if I’m comfortable going.

On the plus side my dentist gives me confidence that she is taking this super seriously and is doing absolutely everything that can be done to keep herself and her staff and her patients safe. She has always come across as someone very focused on Doing Things the Right Way. They even put out a YouTube video a month or so ago showing many of the precautions they are taking for covid.

All that said, the thought of sitting there for an hour with my mouth wide open is at least slightly concerning.

It’s just a routine cleaning and checkup So I don’t NEED to go. I’m inclined towards going but was curious what other people thought.

I visited my dentist the first week of our Phase 1 reopening on May 6th to have my permanent bridge installed. It was a simple 10 minute procedure but I was very impressed with the precautions taken for their sake and mine. Judging by that experience I wouldn't be concerned with a cleaning and checkup.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't stress if I miss the dentist either though I have to say, I have not seen the dentist for a year or two at times, I seldom have cavities (did when I was young but not now) and didn't then, but yea there was more plaque when I went back so a long tough cleaning was my punishment for staying away a couple years I think.
    Trees don't grow on money

DW went to the dentist last week for some work she needs done before other work and before we (likely) lose better dental insurance this autumn. She was impressed with the care they took. She was the only patient in the office, she was screened for fever and symptoms when she arrivd, she was asked to wash up (including her face), the staff wore N95s and face shields, ... She felt at ease with it all.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I cancelled my routine semi-annual cleaning/checkup scheduled for this week. They are great people and I am sure they are doing everything they can to protect staff and patients. However, I'm not really comfortable with it, so I rescheduled. There are things I HAVE to go out for, and things I WANT to go out for (but often still don't). This is neither.

We have decided to wait and see as far as the regular dental cleaning. We did just have to ditch our eye doctor who is not using masks or shields and doesn't require patients to. Still scratching my head over that one. We both have hair appointments for the end of July which gives me time to wait and see how that goes. We aren't in dire need of anything at the moment. I would rather play it safe.

I have a cleaning scheduled for next week and I intend to keep the appointment. I do have confidence that my dental practice will take all necessary precautions.

We too had to skip the routine 6 month cleaning, now they are open but I'm still wary of going. When I broke my hip, I missed the regular appointment and did it 2 months after the scheduled appt. and didn't seem to have suffered...but I'm now taking Boniva for osteoperosis and the warnings say to be sure to keep dental health in mind. So, a dilemma.

Well, because my appointment had been made pre-covid (and they were presumably fully booked at pre-covid levels) my dentist just emailed that they have to cancel my appointment. They were apologetic and admitted that they are still working out the bugs in their notification system.

I’m going for a routine teeth cleaning in a couple of weeks.

Thread Information