Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plants that Repel Mosquitos?

Plants that Repel Mosquitos?

Hi All,

I'm a beginner gardener, and I live in Los Angeles. My nine-year-old daughter and I have a couple of raised beds we've just planted a few things in - cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce, squash. We're excited to do more in our yard this summer, but we both have a LOT of mosquito bites from the little time we've already spent out there. I've heard there are are some plants that repel mosquitoes (lavendar, marigolds, etc.), but I've also heard that's a myth. Any thoughts?

And if plants won't help us get protected from the mosquitoes, is there anything else we should try? Citronella candles?

We are now spraying ourselves with repellant, but I hate to use that stuff.

Thanks for your help,
    Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    Hi All,

I'm a beginner gardener, and I live in Los Angeles. My nine-year-old daughter and I have a couple of raised beds we've just planted a few things in - cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce, squash. We're excited to do more in our yard this summer, but we both have a LOT of mosquito bites from the little time we've already spent out there. I've heard there are are some plants that repel mosquitoes (lavendar, marigolds, etc.), but I've also heard that's a myth. Any thoughts?

And if plants won't help us get protected from the mosquitoes, is there anything else we should try? Citronella candles?

We are now spraying ourselves with repellant, but I hate to use that stuff.

Thanks for your help,
    Elizabeth
    You can grow citronella plants. Also plants that contain pyrethrum that are in the chrysanthemum family, including daisies.

Yppej
    You could get a bug zapper and hang it over the garden.

I'm a big fan of the small portable Thermacell devices like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Ca...90729923&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm a big fan of the small portable Thermacell devices like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Ca...90729923&psc=1
    I like the looks of this. I'm not fond of killing anything if I can avoid it, and listening to various bugs being executed nearby would drive me into the house pronto. If I were bothered by biting insects, I'd definitely buy one of these.

Plus with the zapper you have to empty the bag of dead insects periodically.

Avon Skin So Soft works well.

I live in Minnesota, where the mosquitoes are truly as large as the jokes imply, but at least mosquito season is only a few months. I previously lived in Tucson, where the mosquitoes were tiny and numerous and in my yard for about 10 months of the year. I wear long sleeves, long pants, and tuck my pants into my socks when in the yard during peak mosquito hours (morning and evening). I try to do most of my gardening when the bugs are not around (e.g. working in sunny areas, as the mosquitoes prefer damp shade). In my experience, the essential-oil based repellents work only a little, and even DEET won't chase away the hungriest mosquitoes.

Another thermacell fan here.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It’s funny you’re recommending the Thermacell. I used to handle getting the repellent, appliances, and the butane cartridges into the US. EPA was a hot mess to deal with.

Thread Information