Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plants that Repel Mosquitos?

I have lavender and marigolds sprinkled everywhere. Couldn't tell you how many years since I've seen a mosquito here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I have lavender and marigolds sprinkled everywhere. Couldn't tell you how many years since I've seen a mosquito here.
    Same here!! I didn't realize they are mosquito repellants though.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

This thread brought back memories of Venus fly traps.

also make sure you don't have any standing water anywhere...they love that. My hometown is having a major mosquito fest this year. There are a lot of shady creeks with shallow areas.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Luckily we have very few skeeters). Last time we were in Wisconsin they had a wet spring and they were awful in the summer.

Thank you, Everybody!

I think I'm going to plant some lavender and try the Thermacell device - I had never heard of one of those before!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I like the looks of this. I'm not fond of killing anything if I can avoid it, and listening to various bugs being executed nearby would drive me into the house pronto. If I were bothered by biting insects, I'd definitely buy one of these.
    The active ingredient seems to be d-allethrin. One very cursory look indicates that it can be toxic to some other insects like bees... Does anyone know if bees are attracted to this type of a repellant? I wouldn't use it in my yard if so. I just planted a pollinator garden--talk about bait and switch!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The active ingredient seems to be d-allethrin. One very cursory look indicates that it can be toxic to some other insects like bees... Does anyone know if bees are attracted to this type of a repellant? I wouldn't use it in my yard if so. I just planted a pollinator garden--talk about bait and switch!
    Good question!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Active ingredient on Thermacell items is most definitely d-allethrin.

I'm not sure I follow the question. It's a repellent, not an attractant. The device works by repelling the insects in a 15 SF area. It doesn't attract and kill like a bug zapper.

ETA: I do tend to use my device in the gazebo, which is in a shady area surrounded by foliage plants, so it isn't really a pollinator hangout.

Thread Information