Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who I am in clothing

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Not the Auntie Mame effect here--I've always admired Boho wear. It's more like the ego/alter ego effect. My outer self doesn't quite match my inner self. Also, it isn't really riotous colors, it's more the length and layering.
    I totally agree.. Also, I think I'm too short for long tunics and lots of layers.

We have many South Asian people living in our NJ neighborhood, and I have always admired the saris. They are so beautiful! The silks, and the embroidery, etc. I happened to mention to DH how much I loved how the Indian women looked in the saris, so for my birthday, he bought me one!!! Talk about not matching my identity! He didn't understand that a WASP wearing a sari would be totally inapprorpriate--like wearing a Halloween costume. But he meant well.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm a lurker on a FB upcycling group, and people are doing wonderful things with sari fabric. Their creations pretty much obviate cultural appropriation--you could repurpose the fabric into something lovely.

Geila
    Whenever I see wedding photos of Indian women in the traditional dress I think how drab the white dress tradition is by comparison. The brides look like goddesses.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Not the Auntie Mame effect here--I've always admired Boho wear. It's more like the ego/alter ego effect. My outer self doesn't quite match my inner self. Also, it isn't really riotous colors, it's more the length and layering.
    Attachment 3318
    Attachment 3319
    Attachment 3320

Yes the subdued colors in many layers is a great look too and much younger.

I actually thought Auntie Mame was kind of inspirational. I just was commenting I seem to be regressing rather than embracing my inner Auntie Mame, if that makes sense.

Geila
    I think it also depends on what flatters your complexion. I love gray but it has always really washed me out. Same with black. I need some saturated color near my face otherwise my face looks really dingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Whenever I see wedding photos of Indian women in the traditional dress I think how drab the white dress tradition is by comparison. The brides look like goddesses.
    I feel the same way about Korean wedding hanboks!. So beautiful!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by meri View Post
    In my fantasy life I would wear long skirts or dresses but every time I buy one reality is quick to remind me that those are just absolutely not practical for my everyday life.
    This is exactly how I feel, too! I think it's a comfort thing as well as a practical thing. I love seeing beautiful patterned dresses and skirts, but the minute I wear one, I'm counting down the minutes until I can change into shorts or jeans. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I feel the same way about Korean wedding hanboks!. So beautiful!!!
    Wow, they are beautiful!

For comfy this is very nice:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Wow, they are beautiful!

For comfy this is very nice:
    Very nice and relaxing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information