Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who I am in clothing

My mother, after lengthy exposure to nuns in school, refused to wear black shoes because she said she was forever looking down at them while being chastened. She always wore colorful clothes.

I love color and pattern and am not intimidated by either, but would feel way overdressed sitting around the house in Boho wear.

Unemployed summer look is shorts and t-shirt with sneakers or flip-flops depending on what I'm doing and/or where I'm going. I definitely rarely "dress to impress".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Geila
    Ahhhh, yes. I remember the old office days. Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic. Good times. And before that, The Limited. At one point Bebe. Lots of tailored outfits and blazers. In fuschia and chartreuse, and peacock blue... some black to rest the eyes once in a while.

Now, it's this. I've always loved color.

The super fit and tanned model is the aspirational part!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My mother, after lengthy exposure to nuns in school, refused to wear black shoes because she said she was forever looking down at them while being chastened. She always wore colorful clothes.

I love color and pattern and am not intimidated by either, but would feel way overdressed sitting around the house in Boho wear.
    Jane,
    I just got this piece of art to wear in from the Czech Republic. See image. I think it’s a fun piece but yeah I don’t know where I’m going to wear it.

I lost some pounds, and every time that happens I feel like dressing like a clown. My inner clown comes out.

But when it comes down to it, these colorful clothes all get in the way of movement. Everything swings and sways—Earrings, necklaces, hair, skirts. I will say that garden club ladies and garden club events provide a place to wear these kind of clown/BoHo clothes. Many garden club ladies fancy themselves artsy fartsy.

F954E92C-FFA6-477A-B47B-C31ED4995982.jpg

Are the sleeves part of it? Is that patchwork or print? Love fashion as art.

You make a good point; I would probably choose more pared-back looks if I were actually going to wear them.

Geila
    IL and jane - you might enjoy La Contessa: https://www.instagram.com/antiquegoddess/

I just noticed that while you guys like lots of color in one outfit, I like colorful outfits but normally prefer one color at a time. I once owned a Banana Republic outfit in chartreuse and I LOVED it. Sadly, one day I was in a rush and literally threw myself into my car and ripped the pants on the seat. It was a very, very sad day. A chocolate brown look from head to toe is wonderful too. The only time I like multiple colors is in small prints or stripes and it has to be the garment in the same fabric.

Flats, slacks, patterned often flowery "romantic" shirts or light sweaters. Mistaken often for a teacher, once an artist (really don't think I'm that interesting), sometimes a therapist, once a commune hippy (don't think I'm that hippy looking either). At home sometimes shorts and of course barefoot.

Belts eh well I can gain small amounts of weight easily and lose them well frankly not quite as easily haha, but still sometimes without even thinking about it just I end up exercising more etc., the belt is for the latter.
    Trees don't grow on money

Since full-time work at home started for me with the pandemic, sweatpants and a t-shirt.

When I was still going to the office, it was khaki or drab slacks, a shirt with a collar, and brown shoes.

I've long maintained I'd be perfectly happy if everybody wore a uniform. I'm baffled by fashion, most of which seems ridiculous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Are the sleeves part of it? Is that patchwork or print? Love fashion as art.

You make a good point; I would probably choose more pared-back looks if I were actually going to wear them.
    The sleeves are part of it, added in upscaling artistry effort. This jacket started out life as a plain vanilla linen jacket. The patchy-work stuff hangs off it adding dimension as well as color.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    IL and jane - you might enjoy La Contessa: https://www.instagram.com/antiquegoddess/

I just noticed that while you guys like lots of color in one outfit, I like colorful outfits but normally prefer one color at a time. I once owned a Banana Republic outfit in chartreuse and I LOVED it. Sadly, one day I was in a rush and literally threw myself into my car and ripped the pants on the seat. It was a very, very sad day. A chocolate brown look from head to toe is wonderful too. The only time I like multiple colors is in small prints or stripes and it has to be the garment in the same fabric.
    oh yes, La Contessa’s images are nice. Love some of her outfits. Love that bedroom!. And that is another thing I would like to have in a fantasy life: a fabric covered bedroom. But because I have animals that generate animal hair and animal dander, my bedrooms need to be spare and easy to clean.

I fantasize about making one of the our bedrooms in our Hermann house an explosion of fabric— walls, ceiling, bed etc. and keeping all animals out at all times.

Thread Information