Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: July Frugals

Yppej
    I found a repair shop that will do the inspect portion of the 120,000 mile service on my car for $9.99 vs over $100 at the cheapest and $500 to $600 at the expensive dealerships. Since my warranty is expired due to my mileage I am free to go where I want without worrying about voiding it. The only thing not included is an AC refrigerant check but the car cools off quickly. This service will probably be due in September.

I will also be voting for right to repair legislation this fall on a ballot question.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I found a repair shop that will do the inspect portion of the 120,000 mile service on my car for $9.99
    Do not be surprised if the $10 inspection finds a few hundred dollars of repairs and maintenance that has to be addressed right-now-or-oh-my-the-car-is-not-roadworthy-it'll-kill-you. Of course, you can say no, but will you know for sure that what they find is optional or at least not immediately needed?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    They have been honest with me in the past. I felt my brakes were going but they said they had more life in them. At both the previous and today's oil changes they did not try to sell me air or cabin filters.

They have been honest with me in the past. I felt my brakes were going but they said they had more life in them. At both the previous and today's oil changes they did not try to sell me air or cabin filters.
    Cabin air filters are cheap and easy to do yourself--we just spent 19 dollars on one for my Toyota, and we put it in behind the dashboard, just takes five minutes.

I found bulk ground beef, all natural, at the co-op for $6.49/lb. Yay! It's beef that actually tastes like beef and it isn't $10-$20/lb.

Well, that's good. $9.99 doesn't cover but a few minutes of their time, so maybe they really like you and they're giving you a price break on the inspection.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    In the past I was having trouble with the car starting and they did replace the battery. I think they get legit add-on sales.

Yppej
    I have not gone for the car checkup - not due yet - but am having issues with hard acceleration so I test drove 4 Hondas and did not like any of them. I expect to baby my existing car along for awhile longer.

It struck me that cars are like college educations. They keep adding unnecessary bells and whistles, driving prices higher than they need to be, burdening people with more debt for longer periods of time.

Thread Information