Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: July Frugals

Yppej

July Frugals

I have a frugal holiday long weekend planned - one day of my usual errands, one day visiting family outdoors 6+ feet apart, and one day picnicking with a friend in a park 6+ feet apart.

We had a frugal "New England Clambake" dinner last night - lobsters, steamers and corn on the cob. It all cost less than $30 from Market Basket, and was more than we could eat, so there will be lobster salad or lobster rolls on the menu tonight.

Have a 20 off coupon for outback and then gathering on my son’s porch on the river to visit and have wine. Will see kids again on Saturday since they move Sunday and we will all miss that porch. Yesterday was dinner and games with friends.

Yppej
    I went to get gas and one pump was out of service so I went to move to another pump but didn't realize when I switched out of park the car was in neutral, and all this white smoke poured out of the exhaust. Another customer told me I need my head gasket replaced or my motor will seize up.

This worried me but I came home and read up on this and also checked the coolant level in the car. I do not think I have a problem, as I have only had this smoke twice before, both times when revving the car, and one of those times was many years ago. Apparently gunk builds up in the car if you always drive cautiously and if at some point you don't it all comes pouring out. The previous two times this happened I was in drive and the check engine light came on briefly (this time it did not) and at subsequent checkups the car was fine. So I am not going to panic but keep an eye on things and continue with my regular maintenance schedule. Head gaskets are expensive, and I don't want to take the car in and ask about it and perhaps be sold on a service I don't really need.

All laundry last month and so far this month has been dried on the clothesline - the dryer has only been used on air fluff to remove a frack-ton of cat hair from blankets before washing. We've been careful to have very little food waste, which has resulted in some interesting foodstuffs (we put so much kale in our last quiche, in an effort to use it all up, that I think we over-fibered DH - who does NOT like a varied diet- resulting in his not feeling his best for a day or so... ooops). We made hand-pies with left-over pastry dough, which were good, and managed to have a big mushroom saute before those became "late". We managed to lose two beets in the produce drawer. They were pretty hard and dried out, but we soaked them in water, diced them, and microwaved them into lovely chewy little beet snacks. Who knew beets could be finger food?

More laundry out today. DD and I had to make a run to one of our mall shops yesterday, so we picked up some groceries while out - putting off a separate trip. DH needed a new switchy thing for the truck, so it's at the mechanics. Mechanic called Thursday, said it was $400. for the part,+ labor, but if we could find a cheaper one, it would only be the labor cost. Found one online from Rock Auto for $42. including shipping, and it came today. That's a crazy difference! I have to go to town tomorrow, so I'll leave it off in the truck to be fixed Monday.

Olive Garden is discontinuing it’s dining reward club so sent me a 15 coupon. The 3 of us went for lunch specials which are cheap and you get soup or salad and breadsticks.

Yppej
    There used to be a cooler day or two per week but it has been nonstop heat and humidity so I needed one more pair of summer pajama bottoms. I went to the store and bought them and nothing else. Shopping is just not appealing these days. I had to try them on over my clothes because the fitting rooms are closed, you have to wear a mask, and the checkout clerk was rude. As she was printing the receipt I put out my hand and said, "I'll take that" but she put it in the bag and snarled at me, "I put it in there." It was a long receipt and she easily could have held it out in my direction without touching my hand and without the nasty tone.

Our insurance company sent us a coupon back in March to eat out at one of three local restaurants. We ordered take out from one of them last night, a cod basket, and took it over to the lake at the maritime academy and ate there. We had never stopped there, and it was really interesting to see the training boats, which include a 1916 tugboat.

For reasons too long to explain, we switched from Tracfone to Google Fi and got two new (not expensive - thank goodness!) phones. It is over twice the size of my little old phone so no longer fits in my little grab-n-go purse. I have a small crate of wallets and bags, and "shopped" in my crate for a "new" purse that the phone fits in! Yay!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information