Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: July Frugals

Earlymorning, those sound absolutely beautiful. Your full walls sound great to me, but I am a horse and farm person. I find tack really beautiful and should probably put my saddles out just to look at, even though I don't have a horse right now.

Well, we got the tree down, so theoretically are a couple of thousand ahead, except that we only got the parts that were hanging on the polebarn, which was an amazing accomplishment, but half of the tree is still standing and we have to have someone look at it to see if it can be saved. All indications are no, so we will be out that money.

And my husband went and bought a new 900 dollar chain saw, so there is that. After the tree was down. But it's so large his old saw won't handle it. So he's right. But ugh.

We are not taking down the rest of a 125 year old maple ourselves; it's too tall and we don't have a bucket. But the dangerous part is all off the barn and down and we have starting cutting it all up, yay us!

Great progress on that tree.

Thank you!

Our neighbors took down a couple of his big trees but he’s in his 40’s. That sounds like good progress Tybee.

Tybee, great to hear about the tree! And impressive work by DH. Even with the new chain-saw after the fact, lol. I can relate. We had a huge maple taken down a couple years ago - expensive and nothing we could do ourselves, with or without a new chainsaw - the tree company brought two buckets and took it down from two sides to control the drop, since it was by the road, close to wires, and on a property line. I'm a horse person/farm girl also - but haven't had a horse for 40+ years. We raised horses, and I did the show thing, but when dad had to take a medical retirement and moved to town and I moved out on my own, there was no time/place for them. I still have my favorite horse's best bridle, my show crop, and the stall name signs from my first two horses (which are hanging in the kitchen). Why, I don't know, but there ya go. I gave my stock pins to my daughter. I collected horses as a child, now I collect mostly antique toy horses and old adverts with horses. The farm tools hanging were my grandfathers. So not owning a horse, that's frugal, right? So sort of on thread post, yes?

Early: I was feeling remorseful because I haven't been very frugal lately, but I don't have a horse either, so I'm good, right?

Yppej
    I am likely to close out the month at or below budget. We need an electrician in which would put me over but DS is taking so long to clean his messes up - and won't let me help - that I am thinking that expense will fall in August. There is no power in his room and he is running a big extension cord downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Tybee, great to hear about the tree! And impressive work by DH. Even with the new chain-saw after the fact, lol. I can relate. We had a huge maple taken down a couple years ago - expensive and nothing we could do ourselves, with or without a new chainsaw - the tree company brought two buckets and took it down from two sides to control the drop, since it was by the road, close to wires, and on a property line. I'm a horse person/farm girl also - but haven't had a horse for 40+ years. We raised horses, and I did the show thing, but when dad had to take a medical retirement and moved to town and I moved out on my own, there was no time/place for them. I still have my favorite horse's best bridle, my show crop, and the stall name signs from my first two horses (which are hanging in the kitchen). Why, I don't know, but there ya go. I gave my stock pins to my daughter. I collected horses as a child, now I collect mostly antique toy horses and old adverts with horses. The farm tools hanging were my grandfathers. So not owning a horse, that's frugal, right? So sort of on thread post, yes?
    absolutely, earlymorning! I totally get having your horse memorabilia and I am the same way--in fact, just bought an oil painting of horses on ebay that people would probably say is kitschy but pictures of horses have always made me happy. Horses have always made me happy!

The new tree guy came yesterday and he is charging us 1400 dollars to take down the rest of the tree, which he says is still an emergency due to the way it is cracking and moving in the wind. He is going to grind all the brush (and there is already a huge amount of brush) and take the biggest parts of the trunk that my husband can't cut. His prices are better than the first, but I think we probably saved at least 2000-3000 dollars with the part we did, even with the cheaper tree guy. The tree was 11 feet in circumference, and when the biggest part rolled off of the trunk where it had broken at the very end (when husband moved a brace from out of it to cut back further on the main fallen limb) the whole tree (which was attached to the tractor at that point for bracing) moved 12 feet off the trunk--it traveled that far due to the weight of the branch finally falling to the ground. I would never have believed it if I had not seen it--it kind of rolled and flew through the air, but very very slowly and gracefully.

Sounds like you saved a lot of money.

Thread Information