Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Resolute Independence Day 7/4/2020

A Resolute Independence Day 7/4/2020

Fireworks and parades are not so evident this year, because of COVID-19.

I don't mind giving the fireworks a rest, because I understand that the percussion can be quite harmful to the hearing of loons. It makes me sad to think I can enjoy the call of a loon, and yet 4th of July fireworks have made it impossible for some of the loons to hear each other.

I see that on Youtube there are a wide variety of people reading the Declaration of Independence. My own favorite is President John F. Kennedy, recorded while he was Senator from Massachusetts.

10:30 "... our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

I love the 5th Dimension version of The Declaration of Independence....

Giving fireworks a rest?

Sorry, OP, that is just a joke around these parts. Fireworks sales have been through the roof, and we’ve had to put up with loud pops, bangs, explosions, and soundS like gunshots throughout the month of June. It’s hard to know in our urban core if it’s a gunshot or fireworks. The fireworks go off beginning about noon and continue throughout the day until about 3 o’clock in the morning.

Everyone’s dogs are terrified, they are wrecks. People who have to sleep at night because they have jobs are tired, so very tired. Nextdoor is full of threads complaining about it and then others calling them Karens because civil life Can no longer be an expectation here. It’s a damn joke.

interestingly enough, there is a subculture of belief that the endless fireworks here and across the country are being carried out by anti-fa types or Police operatives. This program of fireworks serves to terrorize the black populace and get them accustomed to explosive noises so that when government goons start shooting, they will be acclimated to the noise.

I am not making this up, It is discussed on Nextdoor around here. This Atlantic article talks about it, excerpt:

My neighbors and I believe that this is part of a coordinated attack on Black and Brown communities by government forces,” the novelist Robert Jones Jr. tweeted to his modest Twitter following of about 58,000 people in a since-deleted thread. Jones hypothesized that the fireworks are meant to cause sleep deprivation, leading to tension and confusion in neighborhoods that have been protesting police brutality. They could also be a desensitization tactic, he wrote, to get the population used to incredibly loud noises. “It’s meant to sound like a war zone because a war zone is what it’s about to become,” he said.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...police/613450/

Promptly at 7 this morning a neighbor set off a few really loud charges.

So, while public fireworks displays had been cancelled here (like many other cities and towns), volunteers are spending their own money, and getting a bang out of it.

Now that window panes have been rattled already this morning, I think I will start a chore using an electric sander on my deck. (Normally I would not make noise before 9.)

My favorite holiday (and my dog’s least favorite). You can keep your 1619 poppycock and ridiculous conspiracy theories, I’m sticking with the Spirit of ‘76. I’m keeping to the traditional “guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations.” I think we’re living in a great ongoing experiment, and I don’t care who knows it.

Here in our little Third Coast city, we are carrying on with our public display; although there is also a strong DIY fireworks culture.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am not making this up, It is discussed on Nextdoor around here.
    Nextdoor is a horrible creation. Not that Facebook neighborhood groups are much better (well, some are more moderated than others and, thus, more civil). But Nextdoor attracts the Gladys Kravitzes of the world like a bright light attracts moths.

To keep it on-topic, ordnance in this neighborhood hasn't yet approached the levels it had when I first moved in, when the Fourth resembled Beirut by night. But somebody seemed to have blown up most of a week's paycheck last night. Can't wait for tonight's show. I'm glad the dog is no longer around for this.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We must have a very old or incredibly tired neighborhood. Have only heard one loud firecracker so far. Yet we are an urban right downtown neighborhood. Knock on wood.

Other than two men (who post a lot of politics and like to name call and threaten people), I like our Nextdoor for getting the word out on what is going on. Learned about a break in on the next block, what our YMCA has for a new class, when our neighborhood meeting is, etc. Mostly what is going on around us since our newspaper/local tv is more about sensational headlines and not news.

They just started allowing sales of and use of fireworks in our state. Used to be people crossed the state line to buy what they wanted and set them off, hoping no one would call the police. Now - we've had the mix of folks setting them off and other folks calling the police; sometimes the police show up and they stop, other times they do not show up so there is no stopping. It's quite a mix - LOL. I don't mind them as long as nobody burns my house down.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

My neighborhood used to sound like a war zone on the Fourth until the city banned fireworks. So now there's just intermittent shelling, and not particularly close by. I don't know if we have loons, but we have a lake that is closer to the fireworks than I am, so I imagine our shorebirds are affected.

Thread Information