Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Resolute Independence Day 7/4/2020

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Tons of fireworks in my affluent suburban Chicago town.

Fireworks are illegal in IL. The IL State Police are known to stop cars coming from IN right at the border to look for fireworks. Tons of fireworks shops in IN just across the border.
    My state sales fireworks to you all in Illinois and also in Iowa.

Fireworks have been going off here and there for a month. I actually don't think there are any official shows, we drove up to look down and there were more fireworks than I've seen before on the 4th I think (you know the typical 4th when there are official shows). So we got our show. But yea if people aren't even going to wear masks in a pandemic, one can't expect them not to set off fireworks, even though they are illegal many places. Actually the fireworks are less threat, and if they blow off their hands, well that is their problem, so long as nothing burns down.
    Trees don't grow on money

Fireworks are illegal in MA, but there were so many going off last night that you would have thought it was not only legal but government-mandated to light off fireworks for the fourth.

Actually it was quieter last night here than it was on the 3rd. Or maybe the activity level was the same but the person who was popping cherry bombs in garbage cans in the next block had run out of powder. Either way, it was easier to deal with here.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

The new people across the road put on a pyrotechnic display last night. I had to tranquillize both dogs, their anxiety was so high.

Oh well. At least he didn't set our barn on fire.

My neighbors set off quite a display, and interestingly, they were in the foreground, and in the background across the lake in New York the various city fireworks were also visible from our lawn so we had no shortage of fireworks displays.

Thankfully, my daughter and her fiance had left for home with their two dogs by then.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was so upset for the dogs, and finally I looked out the window to see if they were exploding their house and it was quite gorgeous, and I thought, all these years you complain about not seeing fireworks, and here the fireworks come to you! So it was really pretty, I just feel their pain and anxiety and wish it would stop.

Fireworks were nonexistent all afternoon yesterday. And then they exploded in the evening when it got dark. And it was actually not bad, I didn’t mind the noise because it was going off all over the city and it was kind of lovely.

Fortunately my foster dog isn’t much bothered by it but I know others are driven crazy.

Had several pretty displays right across the street as well. I did enjoy them, but one of the cats spent the night under a bed. LOL. I was quite surprised that all the explosions stopped quite early - by 10pm, I believe. Nothing appears to have burned down, so - all in all- it was nice.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Apparently frustrated by the lack of city-sponsored fireworks on the lake, neighbors set off their own sustained volley. It lasted about an hour longer than the original. I felt for the wildlife, but as far as I can tell, they didn't set anything on fire, so there's that.

Thread Information