Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be The Book You Want to See in the World

Norman Maclean's A River Runs Through It and Other Stories. Not just for the fishing, which would be nice, but for the general philosophy of the characters and the lifestyle of early 1900's Montana. The book and movie were both good, but the book was better. It has one of my favorite quotes,

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters.”

Yppej
    Razz if you consider fashion an art maybe The Rainbow Comes and Goes about Gloria Vanderbilt by herself and her son Anderson Cooper?

Rogar, that was such a beautiful book.

So, in summation, I want to see a world of spinsters in leaky cottages with water views.

Honestly, of the thousands of books I've read, I don't think I've read a Utopian one yet, so I'm useless in this thread. I've read James Howard Kunstler, and he made me want to litter. Or buy a Keurig.

I'll show myself out.

Jane, I liked your choice! I thought that was the purpose of the exercise, to pick a book that reflected how you wanted your life to be, not how you wanted the world to be, although for some, it is the same thing.

Anyway, I chose from a personal standpoint, like you did. What world felt the best to me, that I would want to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Jane, I liked your choice! I thought that was the purpose of the exercise, to pick a book that reflected how you wanted your life to be, not how you wanted the world to be, although for some, it is the same thing.

Anyway, I chose from a personal standpoint, like you did. What world felt the best to me, that I would want to live in.
    That makes me feel better, Tybee. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Yes, you are correct, Tybee. That was my intention. Jane, by all means, revel in your leaky cottage with a water view! I definitely can also see myself in The Secret Garden--but only the the secret garden part--not the huge somber manor part.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, the book I want to be in the world, I've posted. On a personal, more fantasy level, I'll go with The Green Kingdom by Rachel Maddux.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Utopian literature generally leaves me pretty cold. From Galt’s Gulch to Ecotopia, the characters spend way too much time justifying themselves and their way of thinking to be believable. Whatever opposition they have are cartoonishly drawn villains or idiots. It’s the literary equivalent of a visit from the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Utopian literature generally leaves me pretty cold. From Galt’s Gulch to Ecotopia, the characters spend way too much time justifying themselves and their way of thinking to be believable. Whatever opposition they have are cartoonishly drawn villains or idiots. It’s the literary equivalent of a visit from the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
    I did not see any requirement for Utopian literature in the OP. Not sure where that came from. Do you want to be a farmer, fisherman, violin maker, lazy bum or forever being an accountant? What book describes it best?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information