Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Be The Book You Want to See in the World

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    And for you gardeners out there, Rex Stout's sister Ruth Stout wrote my favorite gardening book of all time, Gardening Without Work, which is finally back in print!
    Tybee - have you ever read The Inviting Garden: Gardening for the Senses, Mind and Spirit by Allan Lacy? I think you might enjoy it. It's not really a How but a Why book. And he writes quite a bit about Charleston, S.C. gardens, if I remember correctly. It's been many years since I read it but still remember what an enjoyable read it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Tybee - have you ever read The Inviting Garden: Gardening for the Senses, Mind and Spirit by Allan Lacy? I think you might enjoy it. It's not really a How but a Why book. And he writes quite a bit about Charleston, S.C. gardens, if I remember correctly. It's been many years since I read it but still remember what an enjoyable read it was.
    I have not, Geila, so thank you, I will look for it. The deep shade gardens of Savannah and Charleston are a very happy memory.

I read all of Jessamyn West's novels and short stories when I was young. I think I was enamored with the simplicity of their lives, the contrasting characters (some mild, some wild), and their convictions concerning the Civil War (they were Quakers). That's what I remember, and even though I haven't read them in a long time, the memory of them endures. (Leafy Rivers, The Friendly Persuasion, Except for Thee and Me) So I guess in answer to the question, those books formed a want of those characteristics in my life. Some mildness, some wildness, nature, strong convictions.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information