Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abundance

I have plenty to eat, and plenty in my pantry. I have a garden that is starting to produce more than I can eat fresh. I have lots of time (retired) to garden and to process food. I have a beloved family member visiting in the area for a couple of weeks that I love to spend time with. I got to enjoy 4th of July with my sister's grandchildren and see the little one use a sparkler for the first time. I have everything I need, and a great deal of things I like/want. My husband and I are healthy and active. I've lost about 10 pounds since stopping work because I'm no longer sitting all day. I have a comfortable hammock on my porch where I enjoy naps and just bird watching during the day and firefly watching in the evenings.

All of my days have been like Saturdays since the end of February (and I retired) - I have an abundance of Saturdays! I am so thankful to be able to say that. It will be a pinch, but soooo worth it, especially in light of the pandemic. I was not so pleased at the time, as I enjoyed my job (I really didn't have a choice in leaving) but the stars were aligned or something, and I find I have not missed working at a formal job at all. All in all, things are good - all three of the adults living here are introverts and happy at home.

I have a patch of Star Gazer Lilies. Two days ago there was a hard rain and hailstorm that beat them down. Two stems were bent down into the mulch, and I figured those individuals never would gaze at the stars again, I put them in a vase on the dining room table. I love the added color, while it lasts. Incidentally, hanging from the dining room ceiling, up in a corner. twinkles an etched glass Bethlehem Star from the Moravian Book Shop. I think they are star-gazing, in a way.

000_0404 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I have a patch of Star Gazer Lilies. Two days ago there was a hard rain and hailstorm that beat them down. Two stems were bent down into the mulch, and I figured those individuals never would gaze at the stars again, I put them in a vase on the dining room table. I love the added color, while it lasts. Incidentally, hanging from the dining room ceiling, up in a corner. twinkles an etched glass Bethlehem Star from the Moravian Book Shop. I think they are star-gazing, in a way.

000_0404 (2).jpg
    oh, beautiful! That lily looks like “Black out” Asiatic Lily.

Geila
    I make a point of practicing gratitude daily. Especially if I'm having trouble sleeping, I'll count all the things I'm grateful for and list is infinite. And recognizing abundance is pretty easy for me. I spent the first 7 years of my life in a remote village with no running water, electricity, etc., so every day I'm astounded at the abundance of the life I have now. My abundance cup runneth over.

I don't see talking about abundance and gratitude as bragging though. Well, maybe if your life is ALL unicorns and rainbows, then yeah, I don't want to hear it. But I definitively have my struggles and demons and I need to be open about that for my own sanity. Being aware and acknowledging the good stuff helps balance things out. That's why I started the Daily Rave years ago; it felt like it was becoming too easy for us to stay stuck in ranting mode. Just now I had a strong desire to post on the rant thread and decided that I would release the frustration from my mind instead, and resist the urge to feed it. In that spirit, I'm glad that good people outnumber the xxxholes in the world! Abundance of good people. Yeah, that's a good thing.

This is a really nice thread to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I make a point of practicing gratitude daily. Especially if I'm having trouble sleeping, I'll count all the things I'm grateful for and list is infinite. And recognizing abundance is pretty easy for me. I spent the first 7 years of my life in a remote village with no running water, electricity, etc., so every day I'm astounded at the abundance of the life I have now. My abundance cup runneth over.

I don't see talking about abundance and gratitude as bragging though. Well, maybe if your life is ALL unicorns and rainbows, then yeah, I don't want to hear it. But I definitively have my struggles and demons and I need to be open about that for my own sanity. Being aware and acknowledging the good stuff helps balance things out. That's why I started the Daily Rave years ago; it felt like it was becoming too easy for us to stay stuck in ranting mode. Just now I had a strong desire to post on the rant thread and decided that I would release the frustration from my mind instead, and resist the urge to feed it. In that spirit, I'm glad that good people outnumber the xxxholes in the world! Abundance of good people. Yeah, that's a good thing.

This is a really nice thread to have.
    I'm with you, Geila. I've written a good bit about Abundance in the context of the stages of financial independence, abundance being the apex. I've really tried to focus it around gratitude and taking action on that gratitude. We've begun giving deeply to non-profits we'd like to support. I don't think that's bragging, like you said, it's sharing what we've been fortunate to earn and spreading a message of doing the same.

I've also found gratitude journaling to be quite helpful in a meditative and fulfilling way.

My gratitude is more emotional than physical. PTSD which I got at 3 hurts. Most of my life, until about 10 years ago, every day was an exercise in avoiding the pain, trying to hide the pain, denying the pain, etc.

I still have it, but it's in the background now. It no longer hits me the moment I wake up. I no longer have to push it away to sleep. You have no idea how much joy there is in simply not hurting all the time!

I am grateful for the physical too. We have enough. There's food, shelter, warmth and love here. As a spoiled American, I pretty much have always had those. But not hurting? That's my daily miracle!
    Last edited by NewGig; 9-9-20 at 8:13am.

Probably everything depends on the ability to be satisfied with what is at the moment. If you appreciate what you have and have a grateful spirit, then in any situation you can remain happy.

Today the Colorado sky was blue, the weather warm and Pike's Peak wore a crown of clouds. We walked for several miles. Tomorrow, the crazy wind and maybe snow comes but we will be tucked inside with everything we need to weather the storm. Feeling fortunate...

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSilva231 View Post
    Probably everything depends on the ability to be satisfied with what is at the moment. If you appreciate what you have and have a grateful spirit, then in any situation you can remain happy.
    I agree with this point. The converse of it is: you can be convinced that there is scarcity, or that the pleasures you now enjoy can be taken from you... so you feel anxiety rather than gratitude.

My little Aero Garden has chives, arugula, thyme and curly parsley. The empty pots that are marked "2 Bibb" now have seeds of romaine (planted 3 days ago, after second attempt with Bibb lettuce did not germinate.) Even though it could be the bleak midwinter out in the garden, the hydroponic set up seems viable in the basement!

000_0506 (2).jpg

Thread Information