Thread: Worst Dream

Geila

Worst Dream

I had a disturbing dream this morning in which I develop early onset dementia. Very detailed, very vivid. Completely terrifying. The feeling of loss of self was the worst part. As if my brain and body was being hijacked. Or hacked in today's terms. And my ability to control my body and mind was rapidly evaporating. And my consciousness was quickly being erased. As if a black hole was eating it up.

Have no idea why that came up, what kind of matter my subconscious is stirring up or working through. But I did not like it one bit.

Anyone want to share theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I had a disturbing dream this morning in which I develop early onset dementia. Very detailed, very vivid. Completely terrifying. The feeling of loss of self was the worst part. As if my brain and body was being hijacked. Or hacked in today's terms. And my ability to control my body and mind was rapidly evaporating. And my consciousness was quickly being erased. As if a black hole was eating it up.

Have no idea why that came up, what kind of matter my subconscious is stirring up or working through. But I did not like it one bit.

Anyone want to share theirs?
    How scary. It is a terrifying disease.

Maybe relates to a lack of control of the many issues of the day?

Those terrifying dreams are the worst. They seem to stay with you.

I had a terrifying dream once (I've had several others) where I woke up just trying to scream but nothing would come out. (Ever had those?) I was in my childhood home on the phone in the kitchen. We had one of those wall-mounted phones. I was looking out the kitchen window toward the river and saw a huge tsunami coming in to swallow up the whole town. Of course that's when I woke up.

Interestingly, I had that dream as a very young woman, probably in my 20s--and I can still see it in my mind. I don't even think I knew the word "tsunami" then, or what they were. We called them tidal waves.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I have had terrifying dreams my entire life. Ugh!

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have had terrifying dreams my entire life. Ugh!
    Me too. For years I had horrible dreams of being tortured, endlessly. THOSE were the worst.

That's what I thought after posting the thread with title. And I wondered where this other thing was coming from. I don't know anyone in my family with Alzheimers, although I don't have family history beyond parents and aunts. But it's never been a real fear for me before.

Then I realized it's from the book I just started, "The Book of Lost Friends." The first chapter is a horrific account from a 6-yr old girl, a slave in 1875, about to be sold at an auction block and separated from her whole family. The complete lack of autonomy described was just overwhelming to think about. And being completely unable to do anything about it. An erasing of a person's humanity.

Maybe it's not such a good idea to read the whole book.

Yppej
    A few times I have dreamt that I murdered someone. Not anyone I know or have heard of, just some anonymous human. It was terrifying to think I could do such a thing even if it was only a dream and they attacked me first or I thought they were going to attack me. I would grab the person's neck and strangle him. It always seemed to be a him not a her.

I've had years of recurring dreams where I've missed a plane or a boat or train. I've had someplace important to be and it I just can't get there and it's a disastrous situation. I've always wondered what that meant.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Many of mine are being attacked by other people. I had to stop reading a book once because it was a true story and horrible.

I had a dream about a tidal wave that engulfed my elementary school. I was about 10 years old and I still remember it 50 years later!

Thread Information