Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stepping out of the fast life

Stepping out of the fast life

I gave notice at my job.
    It wasn't easy and it scares me a bit but I am so happy to know there is an end date in sight.

I am not quite sure if giving a notice during those times counts as a success story but it does feel that way. I work in a corporate environment and the job is stressful to the point of leaving me with little or no energy for family, hobbies and things that matter in general. I spent too many evenings and weekends working from home or sitting around anxious about work and unable to enjoy free time. Afraid to take vacation because a week off meant a month of unpaid overtimes desperately trying to catch up.

If the Covid situation on top of couple of years of stress, performance, stress, performance, ... taught me something it is that no nice salary and free coffee in a noisy open-space office can make up for the life spent without time and energy for people and activities that are important and so so temporary. So with husband's approval I now hope to get a job away from corporate and without long commute. Which will certainly equal about half of my income will be gone but I am kind of looking forward to having energy for being frugal. Or just sensible rather than paying for quick fixes and shortcuts. And I cannot wait to leave the shiny downtown office with all the hustle and competition.

In many ways it is scary to leave what many consider to be path to success but I have had more than enough and I am getting way too old to chase anyone else's definition of success and security.

Yppej
    Best of luck to you Meri.

You are in Prague? Lucky you!

It is scary, but very doable. Congrats and good luck to you!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Joe Dominguez of Your Money or Your Life called employment "making a dying." That characterization rang true with me. Congratulations on escaping while you still have your health. It will get better.

I gave my notice at my corporate job 12 years ago after I started crying at my desk (and I'm not a crier). I went independent and I've been happy ever since. It does take a leap of faith, but beyond that, my leaps were only leaps of joy.

Good luck! You'll be fine.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hello, meri!

I did something similar eight years ago. (With my wife's blessing) I walked away from about 60% of our take-home pay. We felt at the time that it was either leave or I would be wheeled out the door on a stretcher (a little dramatic, but the job was affecting my health). I was the househusband and started a photography business while my wife worked full-time. We found ways to make it happen; I'm sure you will, too.

One thing I learned is that money, to a large degree, equals time. We saved money by not eating out so often or getting takeout food, but that's because I was home cooking each night. My work wardrobe costs pretty much went to zero. Chores we would have hired out when both of us were working became do-it-yourself projects.

We did go into this with some savings to even out the bump as incomes changed. But if we could do it, you can too. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing about your experiences and victories and questions.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

When we retired our income went down by half and we are fine. We were supposed to go to Europe for a month in August and Prague was on the list. When a job is taking over your life it’s not worth it.

I also walked away from a grinding job. I hadn't enjoyed it in several years and it was getting worse by the day. I have no regrets other than I wish I had done it sooner. I can't believe how much of the positive simple aspects of life I was missing. It may take you awhile to unplug but you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You are in Prague? Lucky you!
    Yes I am in Prague and I am lucky it's a beautiful city rich with history even though I personally would appreciate it more as a visitor. After 13 years I still cannot get used to living in such a huge city and so far away from mountains.

Thread Information