Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Chat

Geila

Daily Chat

What about a thread where we just chat about whatever is on our minds? When creating a separate thread for it isn't necessary. Just random stuff.

Like the fact that in trying to protect our cat from a feral intruder, my dogs both got attacked and one ended up in the emergency room at midnight with a bloody eye, corneal ulceration, and a cat claw stuck in his skin right above his eye. The local emergency vet clinics had 3-4 hour wait times. This was on Monday night. We had horrible fireworks this year so I think that had something to do with it. Lots of phone calls later, I found a place 30 minutes away that could take him in immediately. He's now on lots of medication and we're hoping the ulceration will heal without any permanent damage to his eye or vision. I didn't realize the ulceration was so painful. Poor little guy. The other dog got her face scratched too but doesn't look too bad. We didn't see it till the next morning. I'm still taking her in to the vet to check her out. The earliest appt he has is tomorrow night. I thought about going to another vet but I think she's okay to wait. Washed the cut and have been putting Neosporin on it. Lucy was a smart one - she stayed put on the couch through all the commotion. Good girl. This is where age has the upper hand.

I was so glad to be able to have all the medical things done and not worry at all about the price. And I'm so glad to be home to take care of the little guy. Lots of tasty treats are being had by all. Of course, the cat came through the whole thing completely unscathed. Another smart girl. No wonder she's Boss.

We don’t have feral cat colonies in our immediate neighborhood anymore because all of the houses are now occupied.When we first lived here 30 years ago there were several colonies of cats living in abandoned houses. There was a colony of Manx catS a block away from us. Their taillessness ranged from stumpies to rumpies. They all had a bit of a tail but no complete tail.

Our block was patrolled by Big Al, a large yellow tabby cat with sea green eyes who belonged to a family. He didn’t put up with no stinkin’ feral cats in his area. Then we moved in with our cat, Bill, who was an indoor outdoor cat. Bill hated Al so much. It was sad how angry Bill got when he saw Al.Big Al was extremely Sociable and very smart. He would look you right in the eye when you talked to him.We left our back door open often and sometimes we would wake up in the morning to find Big Al nonchalantly coming down from our third floor where he had spent the night. We didn’t invite him to do that, he just did it and somehow managed to avoid Bill.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-8-20 at 2:32pm.

Geila, so sorry about your dogs. IL, that’s a great story!

My oldest cat is from a feral litter born under a previous work location porch. Made me mad that we tried to call the local FUR group to get the mother fixed and kittens cared for, but they never answered the phone or returned calls - even though WE had already contained them! We finally gave up, but my little kitten kept coming over to me whenever I was putting food and water in the crate. The other kittens stayed in a back corner trying to be "kitten fierce" - lol. Her name is Braveheart because she had such a brave little heart to come up to me time after time.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Cats are the best!

Geila, It’s too bad your doggos fell for acting as your cats private army. I hope they recover unscathed.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Cats are the best!

Geila, It’s too bad your doggos fell for acting as your cats private army. I hope they recover unscathed.
    Well, Dh opened the door for them and encouraged them to run out and "Help Jenny!" I can tell you he was mighty sorry as we were sitting in the parking lot at midnight waiting to hear what the outcome was going to be. Then we got lost several times coming home and everyone was in a state when we finally got here. Because the laceration on the eye is very painful, we are having a really hard time getting the eye drops in. He freaks out whenever we touch his head and try to hold him still. But luckily the damage was less than we feared. Just got back from Petco with a huge supply of treats to make this week easier on all of us. It's always something with kiddos.

I hope Jenny is appreciative of their sacrifice and battle scars. I trust her nemesis won't be back.

Sometimes, it just feels better to have someone listen so glad that you have this thread where we can help support and commiserate with you.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

As this chat thread started with a wounded animal story (so sorry about the abuse your dogs took from that nasty feral cat, Geila!), here's another.

The other day, my son saw a small bird near his camper, unable to fly. It looked like it may have hurt a wing flying into his camper. The wing was not spreading, and the bird had to hobble, which he did, over to the trunk of the tree where his mom lived. We kept our eye on it, and so did the mom--a blue jay. Every time we approached, she would scream at us. A chipmunk approached the baby bird, and the mom attacked it.

That night we put the baby bird in a box with a towel and put the box in my son's camper to keep it from predators, and the next day I followed the "law" established by the state's Fish and Wildlife Department--it's illegal (at least in VT) to take in an injured animal from the wild and try to treat it yourself--you're supposed to call a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. There are not many in Vermont! The one I found--about an hour and half away-- tried to teach me how to open its beak and shove watermelon down its throat. At that point, I decided to make the drive and hand 'baby jay" to the expert. I never said I'd be a good doctor or nurse.

I felt so bad for the mom, who couldn't understand that I wasn't kidnapping her baby, but helping it survive. My son woke up the next day and said he missed the bird. I told him he needs a parakeet, but he rejected that idea. It was an interesting diversion for him in quarantine, though.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My son woke up the next day and said he missed the bird. I told him he needs a parakeet, but he rejected that idea. It was an interesting diversion for him in quarantine, though.
    So glad the baby has a chance now! Kudos to you and your son.

Your last statement here got me to wondering and hoping. There have been so many stories about so many animals finding homes during the virus shut-downs and quarantines, I'm hoping that, once people are back to school and work and other "outside" things, all these animals will stay in their new homes and be well cared for. Sort of like - but not totally - all the baby chicks and bunnies around Easter that are so cute, but then grow up and bye-bye! When people resume some semblance of "normalcy", I hope the pets stay.
    Last edited by happystuff; 7-9-20 at 10:19am. Reason: spelling
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information