Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: July 8-August 31, 2020

Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: July 8-August 31, 2020

Hi All,

I'm a teacher who is on a reduced schedule for about four months a year, mid-December through mid-February and mid-June through mid-August. I also have a REALLY cluttered home. In the past, I've had some success with setting myself a goal of doing a certain number of hours of decluttering during my periods of reduced work. I set one overall goal (usually 40 hours), then chip away at it in smaller increments of time. Some days I aim for an hour; others for four hours (with breaks!). I basically use flylady's timer method described here, but with longer periods of time than 15 minutes:

http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-sta...ng-15-minutes/

This past winter, I stumbled a bit and didn't finish that 40 hours until a few days ago (July 4th)!

In any case, since I started these batches of 40 hours of decluttering in winter of 2017, I've made a lot of progress. My home isn't perfect, but it is MUCH less cluttered than it was three years ago. And recording my progress here has really helped.

So today, I started another 40 hours which I hope to complete by Monday, August 31 when my full-time teaching schedule starts up again.

My daughter and I did an hour today going through her books and made piles of about 20 to give away.

If anybody else wants to join in with a decluttering goal of their own for a certain number of hours, that would be great!

In any case, thanks for "listening" and for the encouragement so many of you have given me over the years.

Did more purging of my daughter's books. I can't believe how many we culled! Fortunately, my brother's girlfriend is an elementary and middle school principal and said she could pass them on to her students.

Can't wait to get them out of the house!

New total: 2 hours.

You are making great progress!!

Thanks, Teacher Terry!

This morning I finally tackled a corner of my yard where I've been throwing flower pots and other items I didn't know what to do with. I took a LOT of stuff to the trash but also made a pile of pots to be given to Goodwill. I also ordered a little low bench that will fit there on which I can organize the pots I end up keeping.

I spent an hour on it, but there is still more to do. But I feel like the hardest part was getting started. I'm actually looking forward to doing more out there tomorrow.

New total: 3 hours.

I did two more hours this weekend - but not outside because it was too hot!

New total: 5 hours.

I did an hour out in the backyard this morning, continuing to weed out all the flowerpots I don't need and other clutter. In the last week, I've gotten rid of a lot of junk from out there! Still a lot to do, but I'm seeing progress.

New total: 6 hours.

My daughter and I did another hour in the backyard yesterday morning - throwing out more junk, dusting off the pots we decided to keep, and doing general organizing.

New total: 7 hours.

I did two more hours this past weekend, mostly tackling "hot spots." The first floor of the house is slowly starting to look better, which is doing wonders for my mood.

New total: 9.

I did 30 more minutes yesterday on "hot spots."

New total: 9.5.

Glad you are seeing progress, EJ! It's nice that you and your daughter can work together on this.

Thread Information