Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another 40 Hours of Decluttering Using Flylady's Timer Method: July 8-August 31, 2020

I did an hour tonight, so new total is 23.5.

I'm going to try to do an hour a day for the next ten days if I can. Things have gotten a little out of hand around here - I think in part because knowing no one is going to see the inside of my house for another six months (we're pretty much on lockdown here) has made me a bit less vigilant about tidying up. But I KNOW that is not good for my mental health or my daughter's. Work is incredibly busy right now, so an hour a day for ten days might not be realistic, but we'll see.

nswef, you're reminding me I think I have a couple of dead humidifiers to get rid of too.

Good luck, EJ. Lockdown > spending more time at home is a great reason to make home the nicest place possible!

Good point, rosarugosa!

I did another hour tonight. New total: 24.5.

I made contact via email with a local, long term term used bookstore to ask if they wanted my illustrated children’s book collection. She will take it as a donation, no more than 5 boxes at a time. This is a general store, and she knows a bit about children’s books, so she might be able to squeeze a few dollars out of this collection. A couple of these volumes came from her store to begin with.There are around 1200 volumes, and I will keep the best 200.

I took photos of my Chinese pots and emailed them off to random decorators in the region listing prices. We shall see if that yields any interest.

I have had no luck in stirring up interest in my old Chinese robe that I wanted to sell. I’ve been watching similar products on eBay, and they are not moving whether priced at $99 or $990. So I think maybe I will frame it, but it will have to be folded and put into a large poster frame. If I spread it out in its full unfolded glory that would take up way too much room. This is a very pretty textile and also has major sentimental value to me, so hanging it on the wall would not take up a lot of room.

I love that idea of framing the robe, Iris Lillies. I have a monogrammed onesie with a monkey on it my sister got made for my daughter when she was born that I've thought of framing.

I did another hour tonight. New total: 25.5.

If you frame the robe, IL, can you share how you did it and what size frame you ended up with? I have an antique Chinese robe but no good place to hang it at present. I'd be interested to see how this project works out, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    If you frame the robe, IL, can you share how you did it and what size frame you ended up with? I have an antique Chinese robe but no good place to hang it at present. I'd be interested to see how this project works out, thanks.
    Yes, will do. I don’t want to devote more than poster size wall space to it, so I’m thinking 24“ x 36“? I hope I can fold it in that small of a space to show the good bits.

An article from Christie’s says you should fold your antique clothing on the seam lines if you are displaying them in a frame. But I can’t do that with this robe, it’s just too big. I don’t think it’s an important Chinese robe. My gut says it is post world war I but prior to World War II era But that is just my wild ass guess. It is certainly silk, that I know.

Thanks, I did worry about degrading the fabric by folding. Thank you for referencing the article from Christie's, that is helpful. Mine is from my grandmother, who got it from her uncle who was in China in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Thanks, I did worry about degrading the fabric by folding. Thank you for referencing the article from Christie's, that is helpful. Mine is from my grandmother, who got it from her uncle who was in China in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion.
    Photo! Show photo!

Thread Information