Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Escaping...

I am escaping into the uncharted for me land of ancient dead relatives. My cousin sent me links to Findagrave that set me off on this path. Funny thing is my cousin is not even from the side of the family I’m exploring, he’s from the other side of the family. But I have concluded, along with cousin, that our joint ancestor is so dead ended that will never find the answer to who he was where he came from. And he’s a recent immigrant. Our only hope is one of these DNA matches.

I am escaping into the uncharted for me land of ancient dead relatives. My cousin sent me links to Findagrave that set me off on this path. Funny thing is my cousin is not even from the side of the family I’m exploring, he’s from the other side of the family. But I have concluded, along with cousin, that our joint ancestor is so dead ended we will never find the answer to who he was where he came from. And he’s a recent immigrant. Our only hope is A DNA matched near descendant.

I wonder how many of those on this site have had their DNA test. I haven't and not curious enough to spend the $$.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have, with a predictably boring result, though I have considerably more German heritage than I thought.

My SO had a much more interesting profile with Spanish/Iberian, Native American, and some Jewish ancestry, with a sprinkling of other ethnicities thrown in.

My own DNA analysis is just the way I like it, no spice. 95% British Isles. This explains my bland white bread Karen sort of existence, haha. The only spice
    I wanted was a Scottish ?Highlander back there but cannot find him.

My brother is deep in genealogy and had his done. So I kind of piggyback on that one. Husband had his done and it helped a new first cousin find his bio family. Husband likes to do the research in down time. Keeps him occupied and the stories are fascinating. His family came over in the 1600s, mine in the early 1800s. Some of his distant relatives were with the early Mormon church. Love the stories.

I had mine done. 83% England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe (German and Swiss). 12% Scottish and Irish. 3% Norwegian and 2% Swedish.

They do reanalyze it ever so often--used to be 86% English, 19% Irish and Scottish, presumably Gaelic. But I think they moved Wales around--that is Gaelic, as well.

My kids were gifted Ancestry tests a couple years ago, but they were not impressed with the results. Based on input from other adoptees, 23AndMe seems to provide more relevant info for them. Not sure if any of them have done that one.

For myself, doesn't interest me, as my family is composed of biological and non-biological members.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

No surprises here. My mom was German and Polish and my dad Irish and English. Your dna will be different amounts than siblings depending on what genes you inherit from each parent. I have much more of my dad’s than my mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    They do reanalyze it ever so often--used to be 86% English, 19% Irish and Scottish, presumably Gaelic. But I think they moved Wales around--that is Gaelic, as well.
    Yes they do change things fairly often. I took the test a year or so ago and I think I'm now on my third set of results. 57% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe, 33% Ireland and Scotland, 5% Norway and 5% Sweden.

I thought it was an interesting test because my family lore included an American Indian Great Grandfather but that didn't show up in any of my close family's tests.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information