Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Harpers Letter

Can someone explain to me how "cancel culture" is any different from the dreaded "politically correct".

If it's about the right of Trump to call Mexicans rapists and so on, count me out. See thing is we have an actual problem with fascists (trump cult style - they flash their white supremacy symbols at us and in Trump they have actual near dictatorial power) in this country at the moment. It's not the only problem? Gee, ya think? But it's pretty huge.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Can someone explain to me how "cancel culture" is any different from the dreaded "politically correct".
    I think it's the same as politically correct except there's a super charged turbo under the hood. Both are leftist strategies to force their version of wokeness but where political correctness was a tool to bludgeon people with, cancel culture must totally destroy them. It's been an active part of college life for several years but has now crossed over into the real world.

It was interesting to see several of the signatories on the Harpers Letter backtrack once the Cancel Activists went after them. It's beginning to look like doing the right thing has devastating consequences for anyone willing to suggest it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

When you lecture someone and have HR sign him up for mandatory sensitivity training for saying something dreadful like “all lives matter”, it’s political correctness. When you demand he be fired, banned from Twitter and make anonymous death threats, it’s cancel culture.

When I think of "politically correct" I think mainly of language, not of personalities.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I've always thought "politically correct" is a stand-in for plain courtesy. Political incorrectness/rudeness is useful to expose people you want to "cancel' from your social circle.

So cancel culture is things like when trump states that social media platforms should be shutdown for fact checking him, or states that certain journalists like Chuck Todd should be fired for stating things he doesn't approve of or that Mitt Romney should be impeached for daring to vote in favor of trump's removal from office?

So cancel culture is things like when trump states that social media platforms should be shutdown for fact checking him, or states that certain journalists like Chuck Todd should be fired for stating things he doesn't approve of or that Mitt Romney should be impeached for daring to vote in favor of trump's removal from office?
    I think that's a pretty good comparison, except that cancel culture has a much better success rate.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I would say that fell more in the category of abuse of office in the interest of a single individual. Cancel culture is more in the category of enforcing a dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think that's a pretty good comparison, except that cancel culture has a much better success rate.
    Not surprising considering the person I used in my examples. In a life full of failures his one big success came due to our constitution’s affirmative action for minority political viewpoints.

Thread Information