Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you" isolated" ?

No, walking the dog twice a day for an hour in the morning and 1/2 hour in the evening is a routine and I meet and visit with people regularly enroute. Family and friends fill in the other personal contacts as well as zoom meetings.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don't consider myself "isolated" but like someone else indicated, routine pulled out from under me and it's taking time to find my footing.

I had a part-time gig for the past 4 years with an international company from which I was---along with 4,000 others---soullessly and impersonally terminated over a Zoom call in the spring. Now at that job I had a LOT of personal 1-1 interaction and I enjoyed it immensely and looked forward to having that as a retirement gig. It was a place where I felt like I made a difference, was encouraging to others, and met a lot of very nice and interesting people.

Well, shit happens. And viruses.

Now I wonder because of things I've noticed about myself in the past three months, whether I am losing my ability to relate to others. I can go days and not talk to anyone much. I'm in my 37.5-hr job in my office alone as the building is closed to the public. The custodian is here, but I call him Sasquatch because I only have fleeting sightings of him...and no interaction.

The way this is showing up is loss of words (can't think of them), not calling my sister or friend (because nothing much to talk about), memory is shot, feeling of unease because I wonder if I'll ever have "normal" interactions again (church, stitching guild, high school girlfriend get togethers). And if not, what will it look like?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Kay, that’s terrible about your part time job.

I am so sorry about your job, Kay. And I share your feelings in your last paragraph, completely.

Sorry about your job, Kay. As for not calling because there is nothing to say - I will sometimes call family just to say that there is nothing to say - lol. More often than not, we end up finding something to talk about, at least for a little bit, and it's still nice just to touch base.

Hugs.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Good point, happystuff, about calling anyway. My son called me yesterday to let me know he'd taken a trip somewhere, and it was so good to hear his voice, and hear him sounding happy. It really made my week.

Oh Kay, I'm so sorry about your job. That is such a blow especially when it provided such a positive experience or you. I'm missing my volunteer jobs for the same reason. I really looked forward to working with people one on one and feeling like I was making a difference. I miss the conversations.

Your words about the effects are exactly what I have been noticing. I keep saying my brain is turning to cheese and I feel like I'm aging at an accelerated rate. It is like a muscle that isn't being used. My brain wants novelty and problems to solve. Every day is groundhog day....

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Your words about the effects are exactly what I have been noticing. I keep saying my brain is turning to cheese and I feel like I'm aging at an accelerated rate. It is like a muscle that isn't being used. My brain wants novelty and problems to solve. Every day is groundhog day....
    Exactly...it's very unsettling.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I felt very isolated the first couple of weeks.

I had been tutoring in my students’ homes, and of course that was suddenly cut off (both families are doctors, so they had early warnings). Both kids are special needs, and both pitched a fit about me not coming. After 2 weeks the parents told them “everybody is doing school on line now, so you need to as well.” So I got the structure Of 10 hours a week of work back.

I have been very active in my church for quite a few years, so that was a big loss until we got classes and Sunday service up on Zoom. I’ve taken more classes this spring/summer than I would have, primarily because there’s no driving time involved now. But I miss seeing people in on person, and the hugs. I miss the hugs.

I do have a good friend who lives half a block away. We have always touched in on text every day. When I first ventured out in the Stay at Home Time, I did grocery shopping for her, too. Then I rescued a puppy for her. After a few days, she said, “this pup needs socialization now. I can’t be his whole world at this stage. Can you come and visit us? I feel safe because you are being very careful.“ So we created our “pod” before there was a name for it. Our dogs needed human contact as much as we did. It has worked very well for us, 2 single ladies, each living alone.

I normally would have dinner at my daughter’s house one night a week. Grandson3 and his wife and baby live there too, and I really miss all of them. I didn’t see them for a solid 3 months, then we had our small family dinner for GGSs first birthday in early June. Daughter and Grandson send me pictures almost every day, and we do FaceTime a couple of times a week, it’s so fun to watch Baby light up when he hears my voice! I text with my daughter about 5/7 nights a week.

I’ve kept myself busy with consciously connecting with friends online, my friend in person, gardening, sewing, reading, online classes, hanging out with my dogs. I think the hardest part has been loosing all of the annual events that had to be cancelled, fairs, conferences, quilt shows, dog shows. I have friends that I always connect with in those venues. And I had a wonderful vacation planned with 3 of my cousins, with a quilt show as the centerpiece. It would have been in another state, and we were all really looking forward to it. Maybe next year.

I live with my husband, two dogs, and a cat. I talk on the phone regularly with my sister who lives thousands of miles away and with some local friends. Sometimes people have been coming over for lunch outside at a long table. So I'm not isolated but I'm not nearly as social as I have been. My husband is doing most of the shopping as I've had infections this year that required antibiotic treatment from my doctor, plus shingles. I have to admit the time goes by just fine with working on things.

Thread Information