Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you" isolated" ?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I imagine if you craved social interaction and it was suddenly cut off, you might feel melancholy--but honestly, I don't read those articles. I don't figure they pertain to me.
    Received in a newsletter from an estate attorney. Thought the definition was interesting.

Are you still working as a fireman Bae?

I think all but the most introverted of us can consider ourselves at least a little "isolated" from how we lived our lives. Those of us cohabitating with others, of course, have a somewhat different interpretation of the term.

I do miss getting together in person with friends and with our dancing group. But it's not me removing myself from the occasions; the occasions have removed themselves from all of us -- until just recently, now that we can (theoretically, anyway) gather in small groups -- though at a distance. As an introvert, it's been easier for me. I've long had hobbies and interests that didn't rely directly on other people. And I've been a computer guy long enough that I've developed close friends across the country whom I've never actually met, so I am happy with a level of virtual interaction that would not satisfy most people.

Now, as we choose which events we will participate in, the real isolation will begin, as each participation is an exposure to COVID-19. As I fully expect this pandemic to get much worse, DW and I are planning what we want to get done before autumn so we can concentrate on a circle that includes our daughter/SiL and the grandchildren, even if it means passing on some other social occasions or activities. I think we'll do okay with that; others, I'm sure -- and, sadly -- will not.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Are you still working as a fireman Bae?
    Yes, but I am limiting my responses to fires, technical rescues, especially bad medical calls, and actual serious infectious disease work.

I don't have a lot of motivation to respond to an off-island tourist with a wrist sprain in the park.

Our training is mostly online right now, which is not nearly as much fun.

We are definitely not going to any big group activities. If things get bad again we will probably go back to isolation. Ugh!

We have 3 couples that I would consider our closest friends here. We get together with one of them (the same one each time) for an outdoor dinner, either on our deck or their backyard, every couple of weeks. They've been isolating at home as consistently as we have so it's low, but not zero hazard. I'm comfortable with that level of risk and it's really nice to see people besides SO and the clerks at the Safeway. Otherwise I have lots of phone and video calls because of work, and since everyone still likes to talk about how they're doing in this crazy time I've gotten to know some of my coworkers and professional contacts outside my company better than I probably would have in normal times, which has been nice. And I have a few friends that I regularly text with. I had done that pre-covid, so this isn't really a change. Overall I don't feel isolated at all. But I still look forward to the day that I can walk into a crowded bar or restaurant and do some serious people watching and maybe even have a non-socially distanced conversation with a stranger.

I see the elderly lady from church I shop for once a week. We will chat most weeks while we’re about 10ft apart on her front porch. I have a lot of online friends. Talk with a lot of friends on a regular basis. I see friends when we’re out diving.

I’m single and live alone. Coffee hour after church on Sunday was a major highlight of my week. Last time we had it was early March.

The women’s group from church is going to have an outdoor get together on Monday. We’ll be under the big tree’s shade in the back of the church. We’ll all bring a chair and be we’ll spread out.

We would go out to restaurants and bars and end up talking to people which was fun. Some turned into friendships.

Nope, we have had workers in and out of our house for the last 4 months. Cabinets are being installed tomorrow. When we go into a store we wear a mask and use hand sanitizers. We do try and keep some distance between others. But we have not holed up in our house. We still visit friends and have some over.

We haven’t done any big group activities, kept groups to under ten. Wife had a friend visit and went to the beach, but it was not crowded. Wife is also flying to Illinois to visit grandson soon. I’m not real happy about that though.

Not so much isolation from people, but isolation from a routine. Not working and not having that set schedule has started to get to me. I'm keeping myself busy - very busy, in fact, but it's not the same. It's also hard to slide into a "if this were retirement - what would you do?" mindset because it's NOT retirement. I HAVE to get back to a job.

Again, I'm getting several big and small projects done, but... it's not "work". But, this too shall pass! LOL. I'm doing way better than a lot of folks.

Have a safe and healthy day, everyone.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information