Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do: Wedding shower + COVID

A smaller city about 40 minutes north of us is having a convention, shop hop, in a convention center this Friday. They expect from 400-900 people to attend and shop at what is now down to 18 booths. NO MASKS are required. Our state does not mandate masks although my city does.

So indoor, crowded, no ability to social distance, and so on. I let all our guilds know about the no masks so anyone who cared would not make the trip to then have to come home. Even if only 50-100 attended, they are all going to be trying to look in the same 18 booths.

I think this is almost criminal.

My heart goes out to your daughter, Catherine. I'm cheering for her from the sidelines.
    Did you see that Princess Beatrice restyled a dress of her grandmother's from a 1962 premiere of Lawrence of Arabia? Make sure she sees that--it is so cool!

Congrats to your dd on the engagement, etc.

As for large gatherings - any large gatherings, If other people aren't going to step up to keep themselves and you safe, take your own steps... don't go.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Remember years ago when people thought child molesters were strangers in trench coats giving kids candy? It turned out almost everyone was victimized by someone they knew.

I am seeing something similar with covid. I have a coworker who is very critical of anyone she might pass by for a split second in a store who does not wear a mask, yet she goes to big family parties of 30 people or so, hugs people there outside her household, etc. She also does not socially distance from any of the 45 employees in the office, with neither them nor her wearing masks when they talk about 1 foot apart because "it's the same people we're around every day". When I have suggested six feet she has snapped at me.

IMO it is the people you are around all the time who present the greatest danger. You are also exposed to the germs of everyone they are around and so on in a big web. It's like the saying when you sleep with someone you are sleeping with everyone they sleep with, and all the people those people sleep with etc.

So no I do not think these family gatherings are safe, and if she gets sick after the next one my coworker has planned for August 1st I will not feel sorry for her. I just hope she doesn't take down the rest of us at work in a covid outbreak.

Here is the original gown:

Here is the restyled dress, next to her mother's

I'm not sure what I think about the sleeves but I like the bands.

Quote Originally Posted by danna View Post

All this will come back to bite us!
    We are suppose to be back out so people can get back to work.
    That and the economy should matter more then social.
    Sorry for the rant.
    Yes, agreed.

The workaday world is one thing.

Big casual parties a whole Nother thing.

Agree about Beatrice’s dress! It’s a great fabric and that ornament is wonderful, worth preserving. But the top treatment is weird. Why the puff sleeves? The simple straps would’ve been just fine. The trend of strapless is on the downhill anyway.

He supposedly added fabric at the bottom for that big wide hem? I think it looks fine.

Yes, it was the puffiness of the sleeves that I questioned. I thought the satin at the hem worked. The detail on the side of the sleeves was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Agree about Beatrice’s dress! It’s a great fabric and that ornament is wonderful, worth preserving. But the top treatment is weird. Why the puff sleeves? The simple straps would’ve been just fine. The trend of strapless is on the downhill anyway.

He supposedly added fabric at the bottom for that big wide hem? I think it looks fine.
    Royal brides have to be somewhat modest in church. That's why no spaghetti straps. The fabric at the bottom had to be added due to Beatrice's height.

Thread Information