Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What would you do: Wedding shower + COVID

Thanks for the wedding dress ideas! Tybee, you are on the same page with DD!! She's just sent me this morning vintage lace from Etsy. As for the puffy sleeves, this is one of my favorite inspirations she's pulled (we would make the bodice slightly more modest):

dress1.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I like that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I like that one!
    I do, too. The sleeve on the one she sent you is much better than the one on Bea's dress, I think--it's not as puffed at the top but it's still a mildly puffed sleeve, very pretty line to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Royal brides have to be somewhat modest in church. That's why no spaghetti straps. The fabric at the bottom had to be added due to Beatrice's height.
    In one of the official photos showing the couple with her grandparents, you can see the difference in height between Beatrice and the Queen. So the dress had to be lengthened with additional fabric. Probably difficult to match the fabric given the age of the dress so go with a contrast.

Regarding the sheer sleeves, my guess that was the best way to meet the modesty requirements and still show the original strap design. I wonder if the dress will be "remodeled" back to it's original design.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I do, too. The sleeve on the one she sent you is much better than the one on Bea's dress, I think--it's not as puffed at the top but it's still a mildly puffed sleeve, very pretty line to it.
    Yeah I would call the sleeves “gathered “rather than “puffed “sleeves..

It is hard for me to accept puffed sleeves on anyone over the age of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

When I made my sister's wedding gown, the sheer sleeves were gathered but not puffy.

Now if you want puffy, remember 1980's wedding gowns? Actually, the sleeves on most of them were beyond puffy. I felt like a linebacker trying on some of those gowns. I ended up making my own dress with sleeves that were definitely "not puffy".

Quote Originally Posted by saguaro View Post
    When I made my sister's wedding gown, the sheer sleeves were gathered but not puffy.

Now if you want puffy, remember 1980's wedding gowns? Actually, the sleeves on most of them were beyond puffy. I felt like a linebacker trying on some of those gowns. I ended up making my own dress with sleeves that were definitely "not puffy".
    Well, if you want over-the-top puffy sleeves, there's always the royal fashion icon of the century to emulate:

diana.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, if you want over-the-top puffy sleeves, there's always the royal fashion icon of the century to emulate:
    That was beyond puffy. Oddly enough I liked it but I was surprised Diana wore that style, knowing how tall she was (5'10"). I am 5'8" and found that style way too much. I joked at the bridal salon that I should carry a football instead of a bouquet.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Amen. And that's stretching it.
    The dress is pretty, and timeless.

Remind me again please if it will be an indoor wedding or garden setting. Either way, that dress design is lovely, simple but elegant
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information