Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart Disease in Dogs

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yeah, Teddy made coughing sounds for months. I noticed his distinct slowing down and coughing about six months before his heart mass was identified on x-ray. He was an old dog so his heart could’ve been failing in addition to the mass.
    IL - did the vet say if Teddy was in pain?

Cassie was 5lbs and did fine on all that medication. She had 3 meds 3x’s a day. Then I think she was having strokes because she would scream, pee herself and fall down.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Cassie was 5lbs and did fine on all that medication. She had 3 meds 3x’s a day. Then I think she was having strokes because she would scream, pee herself and fall down.
    Oh, poor thing.

Geila
    Just talked to two other vets, one is not taking any new clients and even for existing clients they are booked till late August. The other would be about $1,500 for exam, x-ray and ultrasound. They do have openings.

TT - how old was Cassie? Lucy is at least 12.

Geila
    Lap of Love offers hospice for $450.

VETERINARY HOSPICE
    Includes a brief examination by the veterinarian, a full assessment of your pet's quality of life, and a custom treatment plan to help you care for your pet and monitor their condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    IL - did the vet say if Teddy was in pain?
    Vet did not say he was in pain. But I know my dog and if he was in appreciable pain, I would’ve known. Which is not to say that he didn’t have small pain because bulldogs have a huge tolerance for pain.

You are right to focus on pain because that is my big thing too – if I see evidence of pain lasting pain or also called “ discomfort” That’s my signal to do something because the discomfort will not get any better it will only get worse.

I’m still grateful for the end event of Velma’s life that took place I little more than a year and a half ago. She was 11 1/2 years old. That is a nice age for a bulldog although her mother lived to be 14. Velma ate dinner as usual, and 15 minutes later collapsed with a massive heart attack, dead in front of DH. It was beautifully swift.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-17-20 at 8:30pm.

Geila
    Vet did not say he was in pain. But I know my dog and if he was in appreciable pain, I would’ve known. Which is not to say that he didn’t have small pain because bulldogs have a huge tolerance for pain.

You are right to focus on pain because that is my big thing too – if I see evidence of pain lasting pain or also called “ discomfort” That’s my signal to do something because the discomfort will not get any better it will only get worse.
    Thanks. I do know Lucy has been in some pain and I do not see that getting any better. I just requested an appointment for hospice and I felt much better just knowing that the vet and I will focus on her comfort.

Geila

I’m still grateful for the end event of Velma’s life that took place I little more than a year and a half ago. She was 11 1/2 years old. That is a nice day for a bulldog although her mother lived to be 14. Velma ate dinner as usual, and 15 minutes later collapsed with a a massive heart attack, dead in front of DH. It was is beautifully swift.
    This is what DH is hoping will happen but I'm trying to explain to him that it's not always this easy. I can't have her be in pain waiting for her to have a heart attack.

As soon as Cassie had a few strokes we ended it. She had just turned 12.

How sad that Lucy just came to you, and now this. But there can be a real sense of satisfaction in providing a soft landing for hospice care dogs. We have had two of them. I like hospice care because there is no surgical wounds to attend to, and usually no medications unless (for my breed) simple eye drops.

Thread Information