Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Going Places by Yourself?

Yppej

Are You Going Places by Yourself?

People I would normally go places with are scared of covid, so with all my vacation time still on the books I am contemplating some day trips within the region to outdoor spots and possibly indoor because though I dislike masks if the A/C is on sometimes it is tolerable. Do you go places by yourself? Do you enjoy the experience the same as, less than, or more than going with others? Do you ever feel unsafe by yourself?

It is a challenge figuring out options for solo vacations.

I am very comfortable doing things that I like on my own. The problem is deciding where to go that will be certain to follow proper health guidelines. Presently, once a week, I am supporting local restaurants with takeout service and inviting a friend or two to my patio to eat and visit. This has been a success.

I wanted to go the reopening of the Art Gallery of Ontario which has timed entry tickets to ensure proper spacing and many other precautions but I need to get there via transit, arrange for dog daycare and then returning. I am going to wait until September.

I want to visit my sister about 3 hours away with a lovely drive and I can take my dog. I am planning on doing this in August. We can buy a takeout meal and eat it in a park. It will be a lot of driving but I enjoy the feeling of freedom and the scenery along with visiting my sister.

If you are a photo enthusiast, are there places that you would like to visit to look for the perfect shot early morning or evening where other people would restrict your activities?

Not knowing your interests, could you make a list of favourite places that is hard to get others to attend but you enjoy.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Some things I have thought of are hikes, seeing the outside of a peace pagoda, outdoor dining, a hot air balloon ride, a small museum, swimming at a lake.

A friend of ours rents out his lake cabin when he's not using it. His friends can "borrow" it if they leave it ready for him or the next renter. He asked DW and me if we'd like a half-week up there. I love the place (well, I love what it represents; I have zero interest in moving there to live) so we said yes. The more we thought about it, though, making the straight-shot trip because we didn't want to be using public bathrooms off the interstate, deciding whether to buy groceries there and cook (that sounded like work ) or get takeout for each meal, having to wash a set of sheets to keep the place stocked (we'd have to sleep on the alternate set and wash them to leave them there; more "work"), and a lack of things to do in town got us to thinking. So did the "mask thing" (sorry; real for us) -- wearing masks just not a thing up there.

We decided to just go, clean the cabin, enjoy a couple of hours lakeside, and come home. Granted the experience would be different if you didn't have to do the cleaning, but I'd still be thinking about how well they cleaned where you were staying, food prep, and how much/how little there was to do at your destination. We have no real incentive to make that trip again soon. ETA the change of scenery was nice, but we can just go on a 2-3 hour trip and call it good without calling it a vacation.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

When I was working, I would take a day off each June for a solo day. Typically I'd drive up to Maine, stop at Kittery Trading Post and maybe one or two other outlet stores, Pigs Fly Bread store, Stonewall Kitchen (condiments), maybe over to York Beach for a walk or tea and cookies in my car with the windows open. I'd go up to Ogunquit and walk Marginal Way and smell the beach roses and the ocean on the trail. Do a hike at the Rachel Carson refuge in Wells, stop for lunch somewhere interesting. Occasionally get as far as Portland or Freeport (LL Bean) then wind my way home, finding specialty shops and maybe stopping for wine tastings.

I'd be a little leary to do that this year. Massachusetts folks aren't exactly welcome because we are germy (higher covid rates than Maine). Don't want to use public facilities or go indoors for recreational shopping. Walkers on the Marginal Way are often not respectful of other people's space so even outdoors would be a little uncomfortable.

So yes, I like to do solo day trips, but am unlikely to do so this summer.

Hiking and swimming alone are dangerous. I would certainly explore shops or eat out by myself.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Do you ride a bike? If so check out rails to trails. I pack a lunch and my bike. Although you are basically alone, there are lots of people who ride by and you could flag someone down if you need help. I did a twenty mile ride the other day through wonderful smelling trees and wildflowers. Many butterflies and birds, a few alligators and gopher tortoise. Enough to recharge me. Even a county park to walk or ride as long as you went in daylight and there were some other folks around. Also, DH and I checked out lots of parks and historical exhibits within 50 miles of us. Many hiking, learning walking and boating opportunities. For instance at a county park we rented a canoe one day and the only person we came anywhere near was the concessioner. They also rented one person kayaks. We saw other people on the river but just waved from afar.

Not to be crude, but if you really want to avoid bathrooms you could pack what we used to refer to as kids a “pee jar” in the car. Might require some tricky maneuvering but a slight inconvenience is worth being able to get out. Or larger areas have grocery stores to use the bathrooms. A quick in and out with a mask, good hand washing and hand sanitizer once you get out is going to keep you somewhat safe.

We take one one or two trips a week to various areas where we can get some fresh air and recharge. Even walking through a different area of town might show some nice gardens or architecture. I find when you walk almost all people attempt to pass you at the greatest distance they can.

I do a lot of running, hiking and cycling and traveling by myself. I have harly ever felt unsafe and usually find the experience very enjoyable, more than in company.

When my son was 18 he went hiking alone and was supposed to be gone for 5 days. He hurt himself and couldn’t move. He had to wait for someone to find him, hike out the next day and get help. He had to be air lifted out. Every year people die in our mountains and they usually eventually find the bodies. People get lost or we get a early snowstorm and they lose the trail trying to get down.

There's a disquieting number of unexplained disappearances in the wilderness every year. Fascinating, but scary. Knowledgeable hikers advise to carry a firearm and satellite phone among other necessary supplies, but advise against hiking alone if you have an alternative.

I'm not going anywhere currently, but I've done all kinds of things alone all my life. It's a mixed bag--some activities are better shared.

Thread Information