Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Going Places by Yourself?

Yppej
    Well I went to a state forest today. There were only two other people in the water so it was easy to social distance and the water was calm so I felt fine without a lifeguard. I heard from the balloon place and they are still shut down. I don't have a bike but keep the ideas coming. i am taking a long weekend in August.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Your day in the state park does not sound too risky and probably recharging for you. The trails I bike ride on are well known and everything is a calculated risk. I would not hike in a forest or unknown area alone.

I found a small electric bike rental place five miles away and I think I’m going to rent one some day and give it a try.

Also, I just discovered there are several art parks within an hours drive with outdoor sculptures. I’m planning on one next week, again bringing a lunch unless I can find an area with a nice Greek or other interesting restaurant doing takeout.

Our farmers markets is open and i really enjoy walking around and chatting with and buying from my favorite local vendors early on before it gets crowded.

I hope you find some safe things to do.

Jeppy: Have you been to MA MOCA lately? That is such a vast space, and I've never seen it the least bit crowded, although we tend to go in Sept which might be less busy than mid summer.

Friday I’m driving 8 hours to go wreck diving in the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan. I’ll be diving with friends when I get there, but I enjoy the drive by myself. I can stop at interesting parks or historical sites along the way without worrying about others.

Yppej
    Hi RR, I have been there. I have been thinking of the Rockwell Museum which according to reviews is normally mobbed with tour buses, so now with limited capacity might be the time to go, but I have no printer to print out the ticket and no smart phone for them to scan it on. I do not like mandatory etickets. I could try printing it at work but sometimes things don't print off correctly there, and it is also shared by many people who sometimes walk off with others' printouts by mistake. I don't want to go around asking who has my personal stuff that I'm doing on company time instead of working. I did get my own printer recently but the toner for it is out of stock, which reminds me of something for the covid winners thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Hi RR, I have been there. I have been thinking of the Rockwell Museum which according to reviews is normally mobbed with tour buses, so now with limited capacity might be the time to go, but I have no printer to print out the ticket and no smart phone for them to scan it on. I do not like mandatory etickets. I could try printing it at work but sometimes things don't print off correctly there, and it is also shared by many people who sometimes walk off with others' printouts by mistake. I don't want to go around asking who has my personal stuff that I'm doing on company time instead of working. I did get my own printer recently but the toner for it is out of stock, which reminds me of something for the covid winners thread.
    Yppej, do you have a AAA or equivalent travel agency that can order the timed ticket for you? I have found them really helpful for planning my solo activities.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    I am a AAA member Razz. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Your day in the state park does not sound too risky and probably recharging for you. The trails I bike ride on are well known and everything is a calculated risk. I would not hike in a forest or unknown area alone.

I found a small electric bike rental place five miles away and I think I’m going to rent one some day and give it a try.

Also, I just discovered there are several art parks within an hours drive with outdoor sculptures. I’m planning on one next week, again bringing a lunch unless I can find an area with a nice Greek or other interesting restaurant doing takeout.

Our farmers markets is open and i really enjoy walking around and chatting with and buying from my favorite local vendors early on before it gets crowded.

I hope you find some safe things to do.
    Sculpture parks are a great idea for this year. I will bet sculpture parks all over the country are saying increase traffic.

Jeppy: Here's another thought prompted by other comments. This one is on my list; I haven't been there since I was a little girl:
    https://decordova.org/

Yppej
    I was at DeCordova in October RR. I would recommend it, as well as the more ambitious Andres Art Institute in southern New Hampshire.

Thread Information