Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexting

Nexting

Came across this word today and the meaning: Planning things in the future to look forward to in a positive way.

I am having a hard time because I am a planner and this is exactly my dilemma.

When it was early spring I planned and looked for different parks and places to go nearby to watch birds. It was fun. The trees were not budded out yet so there was lots to see and few people. Now the heat and fully leafed trees make this not a fun thing to do. The few places we do go to hike are still fun but occasionally we run into those who think the virus is a joke. I had one "Karen" laugh at me when I asked her to move over and social distance.

Nexting..... an interesting word.... what comes next?

Planning is my favorite part and all my plans this year were cancelled. Not planning anything new next year. Two trips were rescheduled from this year and ended up in the same month but will not be adding anything right now.

Cannot plan air flights since who knows what will be flying or where or when next year. Dont really know if any of the travel groups will still be around. I guess so much is questionable, early planning is just "hoping".

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I guess so much is questionable, early planning is just "hoping".
    MiL has been "nexting" for quite some time. She really looked forward to DD's wedding, then to Thankgiving and Christmas that year, then to the first baby's birth, then to niece's wedding, then to the second baby's birth, and so on. The last event she looked forward to was a birthday celebration at her assisted-living facility about a week or so before lockdown occurred. I suppose she's looking forward to being able to be more than 30 feet outside the AL facility (maybe someday) and now there's grand #3 coming at the end of the year. But it gets tough after a while.

I heard the other day that they've canceled next year's Tournament of Roses Parade. The Twin Cities Marathon in October was canceled months ago. It's getting harder to "hope" for much beyond a Zoom Thanksgiving.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yes, things are being cancelled into the new year now. Just hot notice that a wonderful craft fair/weekend of classes that my cousin and I usually go to in Mid January, has been cancelled.

life has become, Chop wood, carry water.

As always, I'm planning to move. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

But I have a (perhaps foolish) optimism that this period of upheaval will result in something distinctly better. At least that's the way I'm framing it.

My nexting has to do with retirement. Plan A was feb 2026, full pension. This covid thing is a lot rougher than I anticipated. I’m on day 9 and feel just as exhausted/achy as day 1. Each day that I’m breathing is a good day.

So I’m wondering if I should go to retirement plan B - This fall, if I don’t recover soon. I’ve got 5 months of combined illness bank and paid time off, so by thanksgiving I’m out of income. I know I won’t return until I’m 100%. But I’m not sure if I ever want to return. Is the risk worth it? But I really love my work.

I would need to buy medical insurance for 5 years. I would need to supplement with some income (work from home or something - would only have to bring in about 1000 a month) by spring or summer 2021. I would still get pension in 2026 but a much smaller amount.

Every plan I had is now up in the air.

This is a time that forces one to be patient and be moment to moment; everything is on hold. Our next has been to move since early spring but it becomes apparent that it might not happen since who knows how things will play out. Nevertheless, we are taking the necessary steps just in case fate is on our side. I am glad we are retired though because I can't imagine the next for people worrying about work, housing and income.

My nexting is very modest - the next veggies that I plant once the beans are done.

I won't go on the cancelled cruise to Alaska, I won't fly to Africa for a safari as I am watching the Wild Earth safaris from the comfort of my home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA2gOnKiS_Y, I am live-streaming Metopera concerts now from different international settings. I am content right now and anticipate continuing for the next year or so.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I’m planning gardens
    i’m planning trees
    I’m planning to go see my grandson in a few days (we’ve been in hard quarantine in anticipation of his birth - which we are still nexting at 40 weeks, one day) I’m planning stories I will read him.
    I’m planning sewing and craft and pottery projects and classes to teach in the fall in whatever format they come.
    I’m planning the next dungeons and dragons gaming session I’ll play with the teens next week.

I’m planning a batch of jam with the berries I picked today.

mschrisgo2, you made me laugh - we will all reach enlightenment!

But really, a good chunk of my life, by choice, is literally chop wood carry water, and the like.

Nexting for a job! And just trying to get the "next" project done while I have the time.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information