Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussion group suggestions

A direct approach to dialogue on race relations would be to reach out to an activist or spokesperson to enter into an online discussion.

One example is the dialogue initiated by Greg Pitttman, of North Freedom WI, with activist Tracey Dent, of Milwaukee (130 miles away).

Pittman listened to a radio interview of Dent on Wisconsin Public Radio on June 4, 2020 (link below): "Milwaukee Activist Talks About Latest Protests".

I assume that Pittman took note that Dent was a founder of the Milwaukee Coalition Against Hate, visited their website, and clicked on the email "contact" link for Dent.

Pittman's reflections on their online ongoing dialogue can be seen at http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/...aukee-activist

The WPR interview (about 22 minutes) http://www.wpr.org/listen/1649951

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    A direct approach to dialogue on race relations would be to reach out to an activist or spokesperson to enter into an online discussion...
    uhhhh, I would be very very careful about that approach.

If you haven’t read about the impatience BIPOC have with non-BIPOC people wanting to learn, and they have to provide the lessons giving their own time and resources, then you arent paying attention. To put it bluntly, the sentiment of BIPOC is “we ain’t got time to educate you honky. “

Sure there is a lot of fixed information* on the Internet, lots of wonderful thought-provoking pieces. But our OP wants to insert herself into a dialogue, have real time discussion. That is a whole different dynamic, one that must be treated sensitively.

* by fixed information I mean set pieces, be they video chats, podcast chats, text pieces. But they are not changing pieces with ongoing dialogue.

I agree with IL that an academic approach would be LESS biased than trying to talk to people who are emotionally invested in the issues. It amazes me that when it comes to BLM, I have a hard time discussing it with my family, never mind a bunch of strangers on a discussion board.

I belong to a closed group that discusses issues around the Charles Eisenstein book "The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible." They tend to try to share very positive things about society and culture, and it's an international group, so you might have some luck opening a thread about race issues on that forum. They usually are very quick to shut down any signs of hostility and are pretty rational on the whole. If you are on FB and want me to join you to the group, PM me. Not sure if they will completely fill the bill for you, but they'd at least be nice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

You have given me some valuable perspective on my interest in online discussion. The Harvard link explained the options very well. I had forgotten about Coursera.org so finally stopped and really examined what was available there.

On Thursdays at 4pm, for about 10 weeks so far, I have registered for a free 1/2 hour discussion via zoom between the Director of the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto and the Directors of Boston Museum of Fine Art, Tate in the UK, Kalamazoo IA, National Art Museum in Washington, MOMA and others... about the role and future of museums. Each director was amazingly open and candid about the challenges, strategies, the changes planned.

As the BLM movement unfolded, the discussion did include awareness and response as the public role of museums in this as life does follow art and vice versa. Those registered could submit questions and I did get some of mine answered. This was a controlled discussion obviously but very informative, innovative and certainly the attendance has been very positive.

Because of these online discussions about museums, I signed up last night for a coursera.org - "what is contemporary art?" to better understand how museums and today's artists will respond to the challenges of our world now.

Thank you all for your suggestions and links. They have been very helpful
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information