Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion group suggestions

Discussion group suggestions

Is there an online discussion group that will examine world issues at the college level of discussion. By that I am looking for thoughtful discussion about issues of human impact that will explore the historical, the current and potential impact of an issue.

As an example:
    I went to Portugal to find out why they discovered Puerto Rico which I really loved visiting. Found out it was because Portugal was small, close to the sea, adventurous and comfortable sailing using the ocean currents.

In the process, I discovered that the Portuguese were first to bring back slaves from a part of Africa which was a slave trading area. This eventually expanded into the slave trade later used around the world. When the slave trade was found to be unChristian and inhumane, the colonial powers tried to curtail the owning of slaves in the African communities and met resistance from the Africans https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53444752

So, I would love to examine by calm and peaceful discussion the real issue or issues of Black Lives Matter. Is it colour alone, is it equality or what ? There are so many aspects to this and I would really like to explore, learn more and understand better - beyond this is a black vs white issue. A shared understanding of the historical, current and future or potential possibilities. This is just one topic and there are so many more.

I have examined my circle of friends and this is not possible at present so am looking for an online community. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Is there an online discussion group that will examine world issues at the college level of discussion. By that I am looking for thoughtful discussion about issues of human impact that will explore the historical, the current and potential impact of an issue.

As an example:
    I went to Portugal to find out why they discovered Puerto Rico which I really loved visiting. Found out it was because Portugal was small, close to the sea, adventurous and comfortable sailing using the ocean currents.

In the process, I discovered that the Portuguese were first to bring back slaves from a part of Africa which was a slave trading area. This eventually expanded into the slave trade later used around the world. When the slave trade was found to be unChristian and inhumane, the colonial powers tried to curtail the owning of slaves in the African communities and met resistance from the Africans https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53444752

So, I would love to examine by calm and peaceful discussion the real issue or issues of Black Lives Matter. Is it colour alone, is it equality or what ? There are so many aspects to this and I would really like to explore, learn more and understand better - beyond this is a black vs white issue. A shared understanding of the historical, current and future or potential possibilities. This is just one topic and there are so many more.

I have examined my circle of friends and this is not possible at present so am looking for an online community. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    It’s hard for me to imagine an anonymous online forum where respectful discussion of valid points about race take place. I think you are dreaming.

Which is not to say there’s not online learning sources about this topic at all! There ARE many many wonderful online learning sources. But unmoderated & anonymous —nope I don’t think so, which is what many online forums are. If it is “peaceful” discussion, you are getting one side, an echo chamber.

I guess if I were really interested in what you describe, I would sign up for a actual college level course. Audit it, so you get the lectures and class discussion but don’t have to do the work or take tests.

If a group of people cannot have a civil discussion regarding masks, race is beyond them. I agree with Iris lilies, take a college class or find an academic group involved with this issue. Online would be a disaster.

Yppej
    I would contact Black Lives Matter and ask them for a recommendation.

The value of a college class is that you have a leader, the professor, who is managing class behavior as well as leading the discussion as well as Acting as a source of knowledge. The students in the class may offer opposing ideas, but they will do it respectfully, given the fact that they want college credit from this professor for this course.It’s a controlled environment. Most online forums are barely controlled.

Yppej
    A book I recommend is When They Call You A Terrorist by one of the founders of BLM.

A lot of times the big MOOC's like Coursera are free or minimal charge--how about finding a sociology class on Racism, or an African American studies class?
    Something like this one:
    https://www.coursera.org/lecture/rac...l-racism-x8mkI

Thanks for the feedback.

I figured that I was dreaming but thought that I would ask. I had another look at The Great Courses which covers amazing topics but there is no interaction.

In my travels, I would stop and simply ask a question. One painful question I asked a tour director in a private conversation when in Greece; "Byron talked about the blue-eyed Greeks but I see so very few. Why?"

She was struggling but finally explained that most women and young girls were raped with few escaping by the invading Turks with their black curly hair and brown eyes. This material is not usually brought up in tour information, I was told. I then better understood the impact of the Greek-Turk war, the result on a population forever and the pain everlasting on the society of a nation. It has changed how I view the world and the wars.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Razz I agree that discussion is a very valuable learning tool. So you would get that in a classroom, in an instructor led class.

Here's an interesting resource from Harvard:
    https://cyber.harvard.edu/eon/ei/ela...e/chatting.htm

I don't think Great Courses are interactive.
    In South Carolina, college courses are free for seniors if taken non credit, so that might be an option where you live, an actual course.

Thread Information