Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where will we buy stuff in the future?

Where will we buy stuff in the future?

Is it possible that the only places to buy stuff in life after COVID-19 will be Walmart and Amazon and maybe Target and Costco? It appears that one by one all the other specialized or smaller retail options are in the process of disappearing. Will goods continue to come primarily from China or will some of it be made in the states again? Just wondering how it might all play out?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Is it possible that the only places to buy stuff in life after COVID-19 will be Walmart and Amazon and maybe Target and Costco? It appears that one by one all the other specialized or smaller retail options are in the process of disappearing. Will goods continue to come primarily from China or will some of it be made in the states again? Just wondering how it might all play out?
    Excellent question!

I think at this point in time there are so many possible scenarios. How I wish/hope it plays out, I think, is going to be different than how it actually plays out. Ultimately, I think the "almighty dollar" will rule over other considerations.

Edited to add: Sorry! I realize I didn't really answer the question. Unfortunately, I believe Amazon and Walmart will win out. They are already big winners in the pandemic. I do think goods will continue to come primarily from China simply because of the economics involved. Until US made goods end up at China prices and Walmart prices, I don't think they will be as affordable to the average and below-average income earners.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Etailers includng not just Amazon but ebay and smaller sites. Big box stores like Walmart and Home Depot. Drug stores and dollar stores. High end niche establishments. The middle will disappear fir brick and mortars - it will be cheap or expensive.

Most people can’t buy shoes or pants without trying them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Most people can’t buy shoes or pants without trying them on.
    Once you know your size, you're good to go. My clothes come from Talbots or REI. Shoes are REI or Zappos. Bare Necessities for undies (I have a bra size not easily found locally). I buy all this stuff online.

I like shopping in person so I hope those options are still available in the future. But even prior to covid, many retailers where already shutting down. In the past year or two we've lost Barnes & Noble, OSH, Sears, Office Depot, SaveMart, all within a 2 mile radius of us. And all the small stores were converting to food services, lots of Subway, Popeye's, Starbucks, etc... I miss having interesting small stores to shop in. And Sears used to be the go-to for pretty much everything, but in recent years their service level plummeted. I would find myself wandering through the empty store, with my item in my hand, searching for a cashier. And when I finally found one they would be very grumpy. I had no choice but to stop shopping there. The end of an era.

It amazes me how much things have changed due to the virus, though. The changes in how we live seem unimaginable even 6 months ago.
    my angels lucy and riley ~ 💕

I've rarely tried anything on in years--at thrift stores, or on line. I guess I'm easy to fit.

As a long-time clearance rack shopper, I need to try stuff on. LOL. As I don't stick to a specific brand but rather what is available and affordable, I've found - for me, at least - that the sizes can vary enough to warrant a try-on.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I find it harder and harder to buy stuff around town.

Our computer printer is so old that no Target or Best Buy or OfficeMax or the one Staples in town carries replacement ink cartridges, so those have to be purchased on-line. Our recent coffeemaker purchase could have been made locally -- if I was willing to settle for the model that came with more plastic and half the warranty of one we bought -- one model number off. I bought work boots on-line because I could not find just what I wanted locally (waterproof, safety toe, 6" high, extra-wide size, leather uppers, Goodyear welt, non-marking soles,) without either spending $$$ at Red Wing Shoes or getting really lucky at DSW or Famous Footwear.

Interestingly, none of the items I mentioned above were purchased at Amazon. I did look, but they didn't do better on price or service than the four sites I patronized. And Walmart and Sam's Club are dead to us. So shopping may become more challenging for us in the future.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Lots of people buy dive gear online now. A lot of dive shops still only stock a few brands and stick with gear more informed divers may not want. So you buy online and get better prices, too.

The thing with buying online for divers is that if you’re a local diver, you need to have a place to get your tanks filled. So many people will buy some stuff online and other stuff locally.

Thread Information