Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma about journals

Does this help at all, happystuff?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ayone&hl=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Thanks, Tybee! I guess I should have looked around a bit more. LOL. Thanks!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm intrigued by it, that's why I looked. Thanks, Catherine, for the interesting find!

Years ago, I wrote in paper journals, but destroyed them when I went to college to keep them from being found and read by anyone. I am a very guarded person, and I don't talk much without thinking about my words in advance, so the idea that someone could read my personal thoughts was a complete deterrent. About 8 years later I finally felt secure enough to write on paper again, and it was a huge relief, but my journals were never as freely written as in my high school days. About 10 years ago I began journaling on an irregular basis in a password-protected word processor file (e.g. Open Office, LibreOffice, Word, etc). Although I like writing on paper, typing is much faster for me and helps me get the thoughts out, and the password protection is really critical for me to just type whatever I'm thinking or feeling.

I'm like you, Rosemary. I don't do paper any more but may start up with a password Word document. I can add pictures, etc. into it, so it should work for me. I'm also keeping it on a USB drive instead of directly on the computer. Looked at the online journal and I just don't want ANOTHER "something" that requires an id and password, etc.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I tend to keep a log rather than a journal. All the entries are simple placeholders for noteworthy events like:
    [date] Started working at [company] doing [job/function]
    [date] Met [person's name] at [place/event]
    [date] Backpacking on [trail name]
    [date] spent night in trail shelter [very brief summary of something interesting that happened that night or the people I was with]

Many of these entries have since been digitized so I can quickly locate when some random memory took place, and all of them are brief enough that they wouldn't reveal anything secret about me but long enough to trigger memories about what was happening at various times in my life.

Like Tammy, I tend to do my personal musing and self analysis in my head where I know it will stay private.

Rather than keep a journal in one place I blather endlessly in digital spaces all over the internet. I can use digital search tools to gather all of my posts in one place, should I wish to do that and re-read my words of wisdom.

I am adjusting my head to the concept of journals that are contained on community platforms.

For instance, Mr. Money Mustache has a journal section where a person’s journal is not indexed by Google. You have to be signed into the website to read journals.

There is a level of “private space “ to those journals that is not afforded to threads out in the community space. Along with these semi-private journals comes the expectation by most that those who post in the journal will be respectful/gentle/even obsequious in “supporting” the journal owner in whatever ideas they have and actions they take even those bordering on batshit crazy.

These private journal spaces very much remind me of people who announce to the room “I don’t like what you’re telling me so I’m gonna go off into my bedroom. Come into my bedroom with me only if you will agree with everything I say.” And then, broadcasting those bedroom interactions on the Internet.

It is such a weird mix of private and public. A mix of echo chamber interactions with opinions from the world.

We live in strange times.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is such a weird mix of private and public. A mix of echo chamber interactions with opinions from the world.

I am wondering how many "How I Survived COVID-19" books are going to spring up, since so many people seem to be writing about their personal experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Rather than keep a journal in one place I blather endlessly in digital spaces all over the internet. I can use digital search tools to gather all of my posts in one place, should I wish to do that and re-read my words of wisdom.

I am adjusting my head to the concept of journals that are contained on community platforms.

For instance, Mr. Money Mustache has a journal section where a person’s journal is not indexed by Google. You have to be signed into the website to read journals.

There is a level of “private space “ to those journals that is not afforded to threads out in the community space. Along with these semi-private journals comes the expectation by most that those who post in the journal will be respectful/gentle/even obsequious in “supporting” the journal owner in whatever ideas they have and actions they take even those bordering on batshit crazy.

These private journal spaces very much remind me of people who announce to the room “I don’t like what you’re telling me so I’m gonna go off into my bedroom. Come into my bedroom with me only if you will agree with everything I say.” And then, broadcasting those bedroom interactions on the Internet.

It's funny, but I almost never go into the journals on the MMM forum. Sometimes I take a quick peek if the title amuses me enough, just to get a sense of what the person is about. That doesn't mean I need to follow their entire life's story though.

98% of the MMM writers are dull. It’s not their fault, they’re just not professional writers.

The few people who write well on MMM and who do interesting things don’t last long because they go off and live their life.

Our own girl Spartana used to be a lot of fun although I don’t know that she had a personal journal. Interestingly enough, the best journal of recent times was another Coast Guard female, Sailor Sam. I love Sailor Sam’s adventures and her writing up of same. She was the best thing in that journal space.

MonkeyJenga, back in her heyday of getting ready to FIRE, was hysterically funny.

The best journals are those of strong personalities who engage in banter with fellow posters.

Arebelspy and his wife FIRED under the age of 30 and
    have been traveling the world while popping out children. They don’t post much these days. I have not asked him about his philosophy of producing many kids and that effect on the environment Since some studies show having children is the biggest action you can take in harming the environment. Any question along those lines in a journal would be forbidden, but it would be OK for discussion in a common space.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-1-21 at 4:14pm.

Thread Information