Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treadmill recommendations

Treadmill recommendations

I was something of a gym rat from my 30's through my early 50's. About three years ago I burned out and became a lot more casual about my workouts. Since COVID I've started walking regularly with a consistency I haven't for quite a while and am really enjoying it. Some days I do two shorter walks at a brisker pace (usually work days) and other days I do a longer walk at one go. I try to get 45-55 minutes of walking in 5 days a week.

Living on the Northern Plains, I know winter is coming and I want to be prepared to take my walks inside. Last winter I tried using the treadmills at the Y for my walks but working it into my schedule was a hassle so I quit. Even if I weren't dealing with the hassle factor, I'm not thrilled with the idea of exercising inside with strangers as long as COVID is around, and I suspect it will be for quite a while.

So I'm looking at purchasing a treadmill and it seems that the better quality ones come with bells and whistles I'll never ring or blow. I'm willing to pay for a good motor and solid tread bed because I want this machine to last a while. I'm trying to find that sweetspot of a good treadmill without too much fancy stuff. I'm looking at the Nordic Track T 6.5 SI which at $1300 is spendy. Does anyone have other recommendations as to brand and features?

Also I've been looking for a second hand one for quite a while and in my neck of the woods they just don't come up for sale that often. I anticipate that they we will be even more rare as treadmills, along with bikes and kayaks, are hot items these days.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

Update: after doing some more searching I finally settled on the Horizon T101. It's solid and sturdy and doesn't have streaming or fitness subscription capabilities. The price was good. I purchased it through Dick's Sporting Goods where it is now off sale.

Tracking the shipping was more work than I anticipated. The shipper made an attempt to pick it up from the warehouse which triggered a shipment notification to me albeit sans shipping number (that should have been my first clue) but did not actually pick it up. On the delivery date I rushed home from work all excited... and no treadmill. After several phone calls initiated by me things got straightened out and ten days after the original date I have a nice treadmill. Assembly is a two person job and really, follow the instructions EXACTLY. I'm looking forward to many happy mile.
    Formerly known as Blithe Morning II

I used one when I lived in Kansas and couldn’t walk outside in the summer. I watched tv while walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Lee View Post

Also I've been looking for a second hand one for quite a while and in my neck of the woods they just don't come up for sale that often. I anticipate that they we will be even more rare as treadmills, along with bikes and kayaks, are hot items these days.
    I ended GIVING mine away after 6m. I couldn't even get $100 for it. There were dozens on CraigsList!

I love having a treadmill in the house in winter. I still try to get out for a walk every day before and after work, but when we have subzero temps and it's dark outside most of the day, they are short walks. I can read a book and walk slowly on the treadmill, or run and burn off some stress. My whole family uses it. Wishing you many happy miles!

I really really like the Peloton treadmill, luckily I don't have a good place for it, as it is also stupidly expensive.

We just got our exercise machines down to the two favorites. We tried taking the other two to the Goodwill and they would not take them, and no one took them by the side of the road, so husband had to chop them up and dispose of them.

I guess Northern Michiganders are not committed to healthy habits.

We have a Pace Master Pro Plus II that we got 2000/2001-ish. I've used it a minimum of 5 days a week ever since. I like walking outside better, but having equipment in my basement works better for me since I do it first thing before I can talk myself out of it. Bonus points for not having to be polite and say hi to other people while I'm walking.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Bonus points for not having to be polite and say hi to other people while I'm walking.
    I had to laugh as these actually ARE my bonus points for walking outside. LOL. Only thing keeps me from walking outside these days is ice, otherwise I'm pretty good at getting out the door every day.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

I guess Northern Michiganders are not committed to healthy habits.
    Or maybe they already have a clothesline.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information