Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is where you live gaining stature?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Why care about what other people think of where you live, if you like it?
    Because they all decide this is a cool place, move here, and mess it up :-)

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Well Florida is definitely not gaining stature. Unemployment benefits were incredibly difficult to get even for those with no question of eligibility. Covid testing has been difficult and unreliable. The governor has said schools must open. Our death toll is over 6,000 and climbing.

I’m hoping for changes come November but not holding my breath. I have no respect for DeSantis who refuses to protect the lives of Floridians, especially the poor. But he is nondiscriminatory when it comes to the virus and promoting exposure to it for the almighty dollar for rich people. We were the last to close, and among the first to open. I would move if I could figure out where to go, and I love the weather here

Corona-virus response, not too well here, opened up way too fast. But who knows maybe it's all financially driven anyway, how a state responds. Because I don't really buy the theory that some reopening protestors representing a minority of the population (though a part that is going to cause disproportionate trouble) was really the cause.

"Could you see whether states that rely on tax revenues that weren’t coming in during the early months of the crisis were more likely to reopen? Philip Rocco, an assistant professor of political science at Marquette University, gave it a try. Rocco explains his experiment and shows his results here. It’s a nifty little model. He used the Kaiser Family Foundation database for reopening and assigned a value to states that have reopened. He then measured this against state income tax policies, while adding controls for taxable resources, rates of cases, state population totals, and even whether the state has a Republican governor and how heavily it voted for Trump. Holding all of that constant, here’s what he found: “a shift in states’ revenue share derived from the income tax from 5 to 10 percent is associated with a 43 percent increase in the probability of reopening."
    https://prospect.org/coronavirus/uns...te-reopenings/

I mean there are some cultural differences in parts of the country. And New York learned the hard way. But the bad decisions to rush reopening, maybe they were all about economic desperation in local government, it definitely seemed that's what drove it all (protestors that don't represent a blue state anyway, were useful, but just implausible as being that important). I mean the govt. had actual plans for how to reopen, always a bit vague, but they threw them all out the window. And the talk about how they would make decisions based on science, yea, talk is cheap.

The Federal government CAUSED this by not helping states and cities. And it's not funding test and trace enough to really improve the situation in the future either. So we'll swing between virus spread and if it gets totally out of hand further shutdowns (already have long term partial shutdown here) as nothing else is left. The Fed gov will not fund a real response. I do wonder why we never did much contract tracing here, but maybe it's just we opened up too soon. I'm sure of course there is also a link between how hard a state was hit and poverty in that state as well. Really it's basic, crowded living conditions (and I don't mean apartments, I mean 20 to an apartment unit ), high risk jobs that they forced people into even in lockdown but forced FAR more people into afterward, etc..

Local gov? Oh I'd like to see some people primaried. But I'm not sure the buck really stops there, because they can't create bucks to begin with.

As for difficulty collecting unemployment, that's going on here too.
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Are you sure you don't mean notoriety instead of stature?
    Your question here intrigues me. Alan. I wonder - has society sunk so far that notoriety = stature? I'm 50/50 on this one. Rob

Kansas has moved from solidly red to dark pink in the latest electoral college forecast. Color me cautiously optimistic. https://www.270towin.com/news/2020/0...ook-_1070.html
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That is exactly what happened to the nice little farming town we moved into 30 years ago. Sigh...
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    That is exactly what happened to the nice little farming town we moved into 30 years ago. Sigh...
    Yep, same here with my hometown. ~~~~"I went back to Ohio, but my city was gone!"~~~
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

In crass self interest, I don't move often, but when I do, I am grateful for a general increase in the selling price of real estate.

My town has potential to attract people who are retired, enjoy 4 seasons of the year, prefer their bratwurst to be hand-made in a butcher shop. and don't mind being more than 50 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart.

Our chief of police is in the news, because he let the City Council know that one particular bar is responsible for the majority of 911 calls to deal with bar fights, drunk-and-disorderly. etc. And the bar owner appeared at the council meeting to express her appreciation of the police department. In her view, her bar is the most popular bar in town (busier than the other one, in fact). thus there would be predictably more deviance there. That is our law enforcement issue, and I am confident it will be sorted out.

Then I’m pretty safe.

My town is full of dreadfully lazy people who can’t be bothered to burn down, loot or or otherwise break eggs in a zeal for social justice. I’m not aware of a single friendship here that was terminated over politics, or a single instance of people freaking out over lawn signs or bumper stickers. That’s how little they care about the important things in life.

Our politics seems about evenly divided between Trump people and Democrats of the old fashioned pro-union or liberal varieties. Someone seeking an intellectual ghetto would be disappointed.

We don’t get a lot of types who want to leave the city for life in the country, and then erect barriers to anyone else wanting to do the same thing. That would be considered rude by these unenlightened rubes. Think of Vermont without all the tri-state transplants

If harsh winters are a deal breaker, you won’t find much sympathy here.

If exotic restaurants or shops are a status marker for you, you will probably be disappointed. The locals wouldn’t know enough to be impressed.

This is an awful place fit only for barbarians like me.

No "exotic restaurants" might be a deal-breaker for me. Unless you mean "over-priced restaurants that serve sauce daubs on a plate."
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 7-30-20 at 2:37pm.

Thread Information