Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your take on the Fed's presence in Portland,. OR and the associated drama?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Your take on the Fed's presence in Portland,. OR and the associated drama?

To begin, I am going to spare you'all what I think - this subject matter for me is of a nature such that I don't trust myself to keep myself in check. So I'm just going to ask what you'all think, pro or con, and refrain from posting further. Rob

As the mother of a son who was tear-gassed at a completely peaceful protest 6.5 miles from the federal buildings that are supposedly the problem, I am deeply upset by what is going on, and I am praying for an end to it.

I live here and they are whipping it up.

I have forgotten what the protestors and rioters are rioting over. Remind me again? Specifically, what do they want?

This has been hashed over and over in another thread.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    This has been hashed over and over in another thread.
    Sorry. I've been away for awhile due to death in the family - no, not my Mom Thank God - and didn't know. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    As the mother of a son who was tear-gassed at a completely peaceful protest 6.5 miles from the federal buildings that are supposedly the problem, I am deeply upset by what is going on, and I am praying for an end to it.
    Tybee:

Wishing you well. These are hard times. We nurture each other as best we can.

Thank you, Dado.

I don't mind federal law enforcement folks doing legitimate law-enforcement sorta things.

I don't mind them defending federal buildings from miscreants, if local law enforcement is unable or unwilling to do so.

I do mind them interfering with lawful exercise of free speech and the freedom to assemble.

I can look out my window right now and see two different federal agencies, at least, operating peacefully and appropriately. And they haven't interfered with any of our local political demonstrations, though when the CBP leased a nice office in our county seat, people were all atizzy about random detentions and such, but that never seems to have come to pass here.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don't mind federal law enforcement folks doing legitimate law-enforcement sorta things.

I don't mind them defending federal buildings from miscreants, if local law enforcement is unable or unwilling to do so.

I do mind them interfering with lawful exercise of free speech and the freedom to assemble.e.
    Yeah, this.

Protesting vs rioting can be tricky to distinguish. Protestors who show up to protest not riot can express their protest in ways of varying aggression. Crowds can be dangerous for those within the crowd, and can be dangerous for law-enforcement who are charged with controlling the crowds.

In Ferguson, Crowd control was exercised every day when law-enforcement “broke up “protest crowds because they wanted people to go home by dark. It was at dark that the really crazy came out and shit went down. So it’s a massive effort to make crowds move, leave the area, and in my opinion protesters who don’t obey law-enforcement directives have crossed to the other side of not peaceful protest/rioting.

Thread Information