Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your take on the Fed's presence in Portland,. OR and the associated drama?

Tybee, that’s awful! The feds should stay in front of federal buildings period if their mission is really to protect them. More than one older veteran has walked up to the goons and were just talking and got pepper sprayed. This is not democracy. People peacefully demonstrating have gotten brain injuries from the rubber bullets which can be deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Tybee, that’s awful! The feds should stay in front of federal buildings period if their mission is really to protect them.
    I'm curious though what the correct response is to having flaming bottles thrown at your building?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm curious though what the correct response is to having flaming bottles thrown at your building?
    That’s a fair question. Although I would think it’s not to go marching blocks from the building to the tune of the imperial
    March. (Appropriately provided by a protestor with a boom box)

Protests are a constitutional right, and have been employed to effect change when asking nicely hasn't worked--for hundreds of years.

I suppose it's easier to shoot and gas moms in a line* than it is to hunt down the agents provocateurs and violent right-wingers like the Boogaloo Boys and Patriot Prayer types, and rogue lefties, who show up to cause trouble at most demonstrations. At any rate, this could be done by the Portland police. There is absolutely no need to import federal goons.

*Fun fact: Carol Burnett's daughter is a member of the Wall of Moms, as reported by her sister, Jodie Hamilton.

From what I hear locally---and I do NOT watch wall-to-wall local news, sorry/not sorry, but do know some who go down there--- the protests are peaceful & quiet until 10:30 or so, when many decide to go home, then the "peaceful protestors" come in with pocketsful of rocks, potatoes, rubber bouncy balls, laser pointers, and fireworks, etc. Now why peaceful protestors need such things is questionable. And all hell breaks loose until about 2:30 a.m.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    From what I hear locally---and I do NOT watch wall-to-wall local news, sorry/not sorry, but do know some who go down there--- the protests are peaceful & quiet until 10:30 or so, when many decide to go home, then the "peaceful protestors" come in with pocketsful of rocks, potatoes, rubber bouncy balls, laser pointers, and fireworks, etc. Now why peaceful protestors need such things is questionable. And all hell breaks loose until about 2:30 a.m.
    This is what happened in Ferguson as well.

I guess there is peaceful and “ peaceful.”

I wonder what the constitutionality of simple "strict 9pm curfew because the rioters come out at 10pm" approach would be?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I wonder what the constitutionality of simple "strict 9pm curfew because the rioters come out at 10pm" approach would be?
    Any government imposed curfew is an uncomfortable loss of essential freedom. It’s the usual Conflict of balancing two ideas, public safety versus Individual freedom. It seems to me that it’s far less Heavy-handed for law-enforcement to say “you cannot congregate HERE “ and define a specific geographic area than it is for them to say “you have to stay inside your own house after 10 PM.“

This last one is really very ick. The former, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Any government imposed curfew is an uncomfortable loss of essential freedom. It’s the usual Conflict of balancing two ideas, public safety versus Individual freedom. It seems to me that it’s far less Heavy-handed for law-enforcement to say “you cannot congregate HERE “ and define a specific geographic area than it is for them to say “you have to stay inside your own house after 10 PM.“

This last one is really very ick. The former, not so much
    Everything is situational. I have long deplored the "protest zones" that get put up blocks away from both the republican and democratic conventions every four years.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have forgotten what the protesters and rioters are rioting over. Remind me again? Specifically, what do they want?
    Funny, actually not funny, but I asked my wife the same thing. To what end is all this rioting? I fully support the right to protest, but once people feel threatened, property is being destroyed, it no longer is a peaceful protest. From our computer room I can hear horns honking - about a mile away "protesters" were meeting tonight and marching to the mayor's house. For what? To intimidate a non-paid woman who has given this city thousands of hours of service - who lives is a very modest home.

I am afraid that too many get caught up in these protests and begin doing things that they normally would not have done had there not been a "pack mentality". I watched some video from last night's protests that included some footage of one of our customers. He was part of the "counter protest". He was openly carrying a handgun. I am sure he has a permit, but he is just asking for trouble. I don't think he has all "cylinders firing" if you get my drift and fear he will do something really stupid.

Our Governor said she supports the protests in Portland! Seriously - Kate, have you seen the video's? These are not peaceful protests. I voted for her, but never again.

Thread Information