Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When the president ignores a supreme court ruling

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Wasn’t it Mencken who said something about Democracy giving the people what they want good and hard?
    He was not elected by popular vote... so technically no.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am not sure if you’ve noticed this, but our President tweets a lot of dumb shit that goes nowhere.
    Tweeter is as tweeter does.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    He was not elected by popular vote... so technically no.
    Democracy on the Federal level responds to the states rather than just the coasts where the popular votes reside. Luckily that ensures more democracy for the rest of us so, technically yes.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I really wish you would see "people" for the way they really are.
    I do, then I remind myself that everyone is entitled to their peculiarities so I do the healthy thing and let it go.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    This one isn't, free speech is important for many reasons including the ability to see who people really are, but I thought maybe you were against it in this era of cancel.

You're right. People's words are a great way of figuring out who people really are. Anyone who indicates that it is in any way acceptable for a sitting president to question the integrity of an upcoming election will be judged by me to be not especially caring about American values and ideals. Hong Kong's upcoming elections have just been postponed a year. Anyone who doubts the sincerity of trump's words or that he would actually attempt to delay the election or says 'it could never happen here' is wrong. We've already got Mike Pompeo saying that it will be Trump Attorny Bill Barr's decision whether to postpone the election. It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to envision them actually pursuing this. Nor does it take a lot of imagination to see how brutally destructive it would be for this country.

Steven Calabresi of the Federalist Society is right. Trump needs to be impeached and removed for that tweet. But of course that won't happen. Because the republicans in the senate are soulless crappy ass human beings who love their power more than they love the country.

Democracy on the Federal level responds to the states rather than just the coasts where the popular votes reside. Luckily that ensures more democracy for the rest of us so, technically yes.

No... not by popular vote but the electoral college.. Not the same

Jp, I totally agree.

I do, then I remind myself that everyone is entitled to their peculiarities so I do the healthy thing and let it go.

Wow... "peculiarities" ..... that is rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Jp, I totally agree.
    Yep... told it like it is.

No... not by popular vote but the electoral college.. Not the same
    You're just being argumentative, popular vote by state which translates to electoral college electors. Without electoral college the population of the two coasts would overwhelm the vast center leaving them to the whims of the elites.

I know it can be confusing to folks who think the Federal Government was conceived and created to provide for them, but it wasn't, it was conceived and created to provide security and oversight in the event of disputes between the states while providing them with a republican form of government. Granted, the federal government has expanded its role greatly since the Civil War and people have been led to wrongly believe it is a Democracy rather than a Republic but the fact remains that the states elect the president based upon the electoral college wishes of the individual states. A national popular vote means nothing.

Thread Information