Thread: Extra Unemployment

Yppej

Extra Unemployment

My coworker's unemployed daughter got used to the $600 extra unemployment on top of 50% of her pay. She was making out like a bandit and not only bought a new car but paid extra to have the windows tinted. I feel sorry for those who are truly suffering while out of work, but people should live within not just their present but their foreseeable future means. The expiration of this extra money should be a needed corrective to some who never bother to save for a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My coworker's unemployed daughter got used to the $600 extra unemployment on top of 50% of her pay. She was making out like a bandit and not only bought a new car but paid extra to have the windows tinted. I feel sorry for those who are truly suffering while out of work, but people should live within not just their present but their foreseeable future means. The expiration of this extra money should be a needed corrective to some who never bother to save for a rainy day.
    My son benefited from the $600, and he has stashed almost all of it (that he didn't need to live on) and now has 9 months of living expense emergency fund, which he refuses to spend until a vaccine comes out and his job has proven to be secure for the long term. I have to say I'm proud of him. He's never saved a penny because he's a low-wage earner, and I was afraid he'd have Brewster's Millions Syndrome
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My kids also banked the money. They expect to be out of work for a long time with the economy killed.

I took out $1000 a month from the bank to live off to supplement regular unemployment and it wasn't much spending (the only thing one could say is I could have lived on beans and rice, but it was all necessary spending beyond I bought most of the groceries I wanted, minus a few fancy things).

So that means $250 a week extra would just go to paying bills. But beyond that the extra maybe, $350, could be banked (so long as one isn't say paying even more just for health insurance because one is older - at a certain point trying to have insurance outside of the workplace will eat you alive).

I'm actually back in this pandemic to basically spending like I'm unemployed with maybe only an occasional additional thing or two - well and a mask collection and I'm not unemployed. But unsupplemented unemployment has never been enough to live off of alone.
    Trees don't grow on money

Republican health care plan: "Let 'em die!"
    Republican unemployment plan: "Let 'em drown!"

That's great that your kids banked the money and have emergency funds. You really need one when your jobs are insecure. I've felt a lot better with a fully funded emergency fund, myself.

Ah, such a classic song.

Banked as much as possible, but did use some to pay for the surprise chimney repairs.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Tonight's news featured a sob story about a furloughed hotel housekeeper who is going from $1000 a week to $400 a week due to the loss of the Federal supplement. I have years of experience and a college degree and I have never earned $1000 a week. Assuming her regular earnings are somewhere between the two figures, she probably was earning as much as I do pre-furlough. Maybe I should be a maid.

Are you using your college degree in your job ? If not required then it makes sense.

Thread Information