Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sculpture Culture Warfare

AOC is not dumb. She is taking on the powers that have ruled us for over 200 years. She’s brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I appeared on the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite in 1974. On April 3rd, 1974 the midwest was ravaged by tornadoes and one pretty much demolished the town of Monticello Indiana near where I was stationed at the time. Members of my Security Police unit were allowed to volunteer to respond to the city immediately following and help go through demolished buildings looking for survivors while also providing generators, portable lights, water, etc. (Federal troops working in a civilian community! OH MY!!) A CBS news crew arrived and filmed myself and several others working in the rubble and I was interviewed. That footage appeared on Walter Cronkite's show the next evening. I called my mother ahead of time and told her to watch, but she forgot.
    I undoubtedly saw that, since I watched consistently every night as my mom was washing the dishes and I was not eating my now cold vegetables. (I had already figured out by the age of seven that ultimately she cared more about washing ALL the dishes than she did about me eating my vegetables so I just had to wait her out.&#128512. However, you must not have been as fascinating as Patty Hearst because I have no recollection of your appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I love the game, but that's how I lost 2 paychecks in a row 47 years ago. Loving it apparently doesn't require you to be good at it.
    I don't gamble either, but I partially put myself through college at the blackjack tables in Atlantic City.

Then again, I majored in statistics, and have a near-photographic memory, so it wasn't *exactly* gambling.

Hmmm, I'll bet they'd let me back in now, surely they've forgotten....

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    However, you must not have been as fascinating as Patty Hearst because I have no recollection of your appearance.
    That's ok, all Federal goons look pretty much alike anyway, especially in the midst of fires and destruction, it's hard to stand out.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Hmmm.

Both Hawaii statues were sent there by the State of Hawaii. Which is only ~25% white. The Hawaiian state legislature seems to only have 22% white membership.

So, who was it who decided to send those statues?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Hmmm.

Both Hawaii statues were sent there by the State of Hawaii. Which is only ~25% white. The Hawaiian state legislature seems to only have 22% white membership.

No one said those white supremacists weren’t diabolically clever. They can influence people at the cellular level without their even being aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Hmmm.

I really and truly do love seeing contextual reasoning used in any discussion. It's a breath of fresh air, thank you.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Here is a list of the statues:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...all_Collection

I counted just 7 women.

Hawaii's statues were installed in 1969. I do not know what the racial composition of their state legislature was at that time.

It is possible to change these since Michigan put Gerald Ford in during 2011.

Thanks for a very interesting link-- there are several new statues coming in, as I guess this editing process is ongoing, with Johnny Cash replacing James Paul Clarke and Amelia Earhart replacing John James Ingalls.
    Fascinating.

As of 2018, women made up 28.9 percent of the Hawaii state legislature, and I believe AOC's comments were directed at the lack of representation of females in the statuary. So make sure to factor that in to your "breath of fresh air context."

Thread Information