Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sculpture Culture Warfare

Although to be fair in this specific case, the Washington D.C. bureaucrats HAVE made the Hall of Statuary a zero sum game. Only 2 commemerative statues allowed by each state.

Yes, the list of new statues coming in is fascinating to me-- so I checked out the statute that the Johnny Cash statue is replacing, from Wikipedia:

"Clarke was elected Attorney General of Arkansas and served from 1892 to 1894. He served as Governor of Arkansas from 1895 to 1897.[2] Clarke was devoted to "upholding white supremacy as the keystone of the Democratic Party. 'The people of the South,' he said in his closing speech of the election, 'looked to the Democratic party to preserve the white standards of civilization.' Clarke easily defeated his opponents."
    [3]"

So yeah, I'd take Johnny Cash any day over Gov. Clarke. And I'm not even from Arkansas. . .

On the other hand, the Belgian Fr. Damien has always been an inspiration to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yes, the list of new statues coming in is fascinating to me-- so I checked out the statute that the Johnny Cash statue is replacing, from Wikipedia:

"Clarke was elected Attorney General of Arkansas and served from 1892 to 1894. He served as Governor of Arkansas from 1895 to 1897.[2] Clarke was devoted to "upholding white supremacy as the keystone of the Democratic Party. 'The people of the South,' he said in his closing speech of the election, 'looked to the Democratic party to preserve the white standards of civilization.' Clarke easily defeated his opponents."
    [3]"

So yeah, I'd take Johnny Cash any day over Gov. Clarke. And I'm not even from Arkansas. . .

On the other hand, the Belgian Fr. Damien has always been an inspiration to me.
    And yet the Democratic Party is more popular than ever, still attempting to cancel, or perhaps just diminish, everyone but themselves. I'm a fan of irony but I still have trouble wrapping my head around that one. Favorable PR I guess.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Me, too. These statues seem to be something of pr for the states themselves. Times change, and how we want to present ourselves changes, I guess. But the statues are not some monolithic cultural statement by the federal government, that's for sure. So why not complain to Arkansas about the Clarke statue?

Thread Information