Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sculpture Culture Warfare

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don't gamble either, but I partially put myself through college at the blackjack tables in Atlantic City.

Then again, I majored in statistics, and have a near-photographic memory, so it wasn't *exactly* gambling.

Hmmm, I'll bet they'd let me back in now, surely they've forgotten....
    LOL - that's great!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Thanks for a very interesting link-- there are several new statues coming in, as I guess this editing process is ongoing, with Johnny Cash replacing James Paul Clarke and Amelia Earhart replacing John James Ingalls.
    Fascinating.
    And this is as it should be, public art changing itself out to be relevant.

Johnny Cash is an...interesting choice. But the choice of his state, so be it.

I'm all for an Amelia Earhart statue!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm all for an Amelia Earhart statue!
    That thief! No I dont think so!

haha.

My friend relates this story: Ameria Earhart stayed with his family (maybe grandfather? ) in a town in Illinois before her flight. She was their guest. When she left, a towel was missing.

A story for generations is worth the price of a towel.

Maybe we should come up with another way to honor "heroes" of either sex. Statues seem like something from another era. Plant a tree?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Maybe we should come up with another way to honor "heroes" of either sex. Statues seem like something from another era. Plant a tree?
    I can picture AOC pointing to an elm and exclaiming “This is what patriarchy and white supremacist culture looks like! Plus we need to rake all those racist leaves!”

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I can picture AOC pointing to an elm and exclaiming “This is what patriarchy and white supremacist culture looks like! Plus we need to rake all those racist leaves!”
    Well, if Hawaii is represented by that instead of a candlenut tree she will have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So are you offended by the prospect of Fr. Damien being replaced by someone else, because of who Fr. Damien was, and all the good he did for the lepers? Are you offended by the prospect of more states replacing statues with statues of women?

I get that you are mocking what she is saying, but what about this situation makes you mock her? What is unacceptable to you here?

I think you can be amused and/or concerned by the whole racist, white patriarchy, cancel histrionics thing without being bothered by statues of women, but I'm not sure these days you can do so without having your motivations questioned.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    So are you offended by the prospect of Fr. Damien being replaced by someone else, because of who Fr. Damien was, and all the good he did for the lepers? Are you offended by the prospect of more states replacing statues with statues of women?

I get that you are mocking what she is saying, but what about this situation makes you mock her? What is unacceptable to you here?
    Alan had it right. Not so much offended as amused that someone would point to a memorial of an exemplary human being as an expression of racism and sexism. That someone would be so ideologically addled that they believe honoring the past is a zero sum game that requires tearing down one to elevate another. That someone would be so profoundly silly as to declare “this is what something looks like “when it clearly looks nothing of the sort, and expects thinking people to accept it.

Thread Information