Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvesting seeds

Harvesting seeds

Question for all of you gardening experts - do you harvest seeds from the current year's crops/blooms (veggies and/or flowers)? Is it as simple as - for example - slicing open the zucchini, scraping out the seeds, cleaning, drying and storing for next year?

Thanks in advance.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Question for all of you gardening experts - do you harvest seeds from the current year's crops/blooms (veggies and/or flowers)? Is it as simple as - for example - slicing open the zucchini, scraping out the seeds, cleaning, drying and storing for next year?

Thanks in advance.
    yes, pretty much. I've been harvesting poppy seeds all week.
    If you are saving zucchini seeds, you need to know what other squashes you are growing nearby, as they may cross with something else.
    You also are best off planting heirloom varieties, not hybrids, so they will come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    yes, pretty much. I've been harvesting poppy seeds all week.
    If you are saving zucchini seeds, you need to know what other squashes you are growing nearby, as they may cross with something else.
    You also are best off planting heirloom varieties, not hybrids, so they will come true.
    Thanks, Tybee. I think I'll start with zucchini as I have two sitting on the counter. They came from someone else's garden, but I'm just going to give them a try anyway. What the heck! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

That's a good plan! We have also saved seeds from produce we buy, and see what comes up.

I save mostly flower seeds. Sometimes tomato seeds or pepper seeds if they are heirloom. For tomatoes, you need to soak the seed gel stuff in water for a couple of days - my understanding is that the gel inhibits germination- and then dry out the seeds before storing. I just make sure my seeds are dry before any packaging so that they don't mold.

The zucchini variety I like best (Raven) is an f1 hybrid, so I don't save that one.

We save many flower seeds, but over the decades I have learned which ones revert back quickly to core species traits.

These revert quickly and are not worth my time to plant, too ugly:

sunflowers, petunias,

These flowers retain their hybrid characteristics for a while, through successive generations of seeds, but get increasingly leggy and UN-beautiful:

zinnias, celosia, larkspur ( although I dont mind their airy, leggyness)

I have had the best luck with these retaining original parent characteristics:

French marigolds, Cleome, alyssum, four oclocks

I just harvested Sweet Williams - Dianthus I think they are called - I have a ton of seeds! It was a lot of fun actually.
    My Blog

*Speak Kind Words - Hear Kind Echos*

I have turned into a seed-saving nut. DH rolls his eyes as I go around collecting seeds from everything I can. Little envelopes of seeds everywhere. Haven't saved vegetable seeds yet but will this summer for a few heirloom tomatoes like Goosecreek Black.

Next question - how do you store the seeds? What method would work best for long-term storage? (and how long is "long-term"? LOL)

Thanks again, everyone!!

how do you store the seeds?
    I use glassine envelopes and put labels on them with plant name and year. Envelopes are stored in a plastic box that snaps down- ie keeps some of the moisture out. I've also seen folks store their seeds with dessicant packages. You just want to keep them dry.

Thread Information