Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harvesting seeds

It is extremely dry here so I store in paper envelopes inside sleeved photo albums. I found it helpful to check out some seed saving books from the library.

Thanks!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I have had the best luck with these retaining original parent characteristics:

French marigolds, Cleome, alyssum, four oclocks
    I have had good luck with nasturtiums and lupines.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I have had good luck with nasturtiums and lupines.
    I didn’t know there was an annual variety of lupine, or maybe you’re talking about perennials? Anyway, we can’t grow lupines here it’s too hot and humid they just crump. But nasturtiums are probably a good bet. I see them in several beds at our community garden

Coming from Texas, I was not familiar with nasturtiums. Decided to plant some seeds from a local seed company, Botanical Interests (they have beautiful illustrations), around my tomatoes here in Colorado and they are now flowering. Something I read in an old gardening book, Noah's Garden, said that we need to be reminded that seeds figure out themselves when the best time to germinate is. The author got the best results from gathering, storing in a cool, dry place through winter and then sowing directly when the soil warms up. Some will take more than a year to be ready - just depends on the type of plant. I have seed packets that are five years old or more and they all came up this spring.

The extent of my horticultural adventures: I used to eat nasturtiums as a child; I've always loved spicy food.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I didn’t know there was an annual variety of lupine, or maybe you’re talking about perennials? Anyway, we can’t grow lupines here it’s too hot and humid they just crump. But nasturtiums are probably a good bet. I see them in several beds at our community garden
    Lupine is perennial, but the plant makes pods of seeds each year.

Thread Information