Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Ideas

Geila

Kitchen Ideas

I've spent the past week getting my house back in order. I had piles of stuff everywhere. A few years ago I took out my pantry cabinet to make the kitchen look more spacious and I really miss having it. I was talking to my sister and niece (who just started a design business) and they both say not to put it back since I'll be selling in a few years. But I don't think a pantry cabinet would be a deterrent, could even be a good thing. Because my kitchen is open plan-ish, the cabinet would have to go in kitchen-adjacent in the area between it and the family room. Area is roughly 7'x7' and there's nothing else there except the door leading to the garage. I think that's plenty of space; the cabinet is 36" wide by 18" deep. What do you guys think? Would you put it back?

Now - looking for feedback on putting in butcher block countertops. For several reasons, wood seems the best option. We're putting back a drop-in apron sink and making the island into a peninsula. Dh can buy, cut and install the wood himself. Win, win, win. This is what we're going for - simple, classic look (our cabinets are off-white). For backsplash, I would do subway tile in white or marble for light reflection. Our floors are dark oak. This is the sink we have, which I love and have missed as well:

Last edited by Geila; 10-9-20 at 12:06pm.

LOVE that sink!! Is there such a thing as a standalone pantry cabinet which you could move when you sell?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

It does look really wonderful I second Kay's question?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I have the same photo of the Hemnes used as built-ins! I like it. The more built-ins and pantries the better, I think. I would prefer that to a totally open kitchen, for sure.

I love my pantry. It's funky, and not to everyone's taste, but it was added on by the previous owner as the second half of the mudroom, and it has vintage dutch doors and a stained glass window (which I bought on eBay) to separate it from the kitchen.

I love your example pics: if you can find cool furniture to repurpose, that would be great. I'm really hoping this huge room/open concept trend diminishes. I've seen so many architectural features sacrificed in the name of "BIIIIGGG" "OPPPPPEEEEN"! I get that people don't want to feel cramped, and in your situation, Geila, you probably need options, so I would be in favor of something semi-permanent.

As far as the butcher block counter--I like that, also. In fact, I'm about to buy a small piece for the base cabinet next to our stove. Above that cabinet we have a magnetic knife strip, so it would work very well with a butcher block counter.

I think I'm partial to green, and I know you're not asking about colors, but I really love the first and last pictures you posted.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, you can always change the white doors for the color doors; that's the way the system is built.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well, you can always change the white doors for the color doors; that's the way the system is built.
    I know, but it's pretty wasteful. If we were staying here for a long time I might be able to justify it.

I love the green cabinets.

As far as pantry vs no pantry, even if planning to move in a few years, I would go with functionality. Would it make the kitchen work better for you? How did things change when you removed the pantry?

Our pantry is a closet in our basement with one of those unfinished pine Ikea shelving units. It works.

Functionally, what’s the difference between a pantry and a shelving unit?

Thread Information