Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kitchen Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have looked at so many houses, kitchens, yards online since the pandemic that my head is spinning. New tract houses are butt-ugly IMO. Tunnel doorways, hog-nose garages, open concept, blah-blah. I love 1930s houses but they only still exist where we are looking in small towns one wouldn't want to live in. We are still actively looking and now thinking of building a small (1400sf or less), energy-efficient house on a lot. Perhaps Texas Hill Country style - stone with metal roof, screened in back porch.Attachment 3360
    If by "tunnel doorway" you mean an entryway, I definitely want one. My late, lamented condo had a small entry, and I like that much better than throwing the front door open and looking into the kitchen sink, as I have to do now. If you mean the front door opens into a long, cramped hallway, I would agree with you.

My kitchen is minuscule. I appreciate it more now that I'm less mobile, but I have a nearly 1800 sq. ft. house, and there's no excuse for a 7 or 8 ft. kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If by "tunnel doorway" you mean an entryway, I definitely want one. My late, lamented condo had a small entry, and I like that much better than throwing the front door open and looking into the kitchen sink, as I have to do now. If you mean the front door opens into a long, cramped hallway, I would agree with you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright believed in entryways as transitional spaces between the outdoors and the indoors. I had a tour of Taliesin West and all I remember is this passionate tour guide gesturing with her arms "compress, RELEASE" every time we went though a passageway. When I came home from AZ, I painted my entryway a deep red to mimic the "compress" part of the transition, but unfortunately my small 70s family room didn't offer much of a visual "release".
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love his houses. Many are in the Midwest.

I paid big bucks to attend a fundraiser cocktail party a few weeks ago in one of the St. Louis Frank Lloyd Wright houses.

The hallway from the living room to the bedrooms was incredibly narrow, cramped, claustrophobic.It was maybe 2 1/2 feet wide? This was not a huge house. It was a family house however family had four children. There was dispute among the people there including a daughter of the builders as to how big it was. Someone thinks it’s 1000 ft.². Someone else thought it was closer to 2000 ft.². But either way that’s not a huge house it was certainly bigger than 1000 ft.²

Anyway, what I liked about it was a variance of ceiling heights from hall to living room, and also there was transition in steps down into the living area from the hallway and from the kitchen.

Geila: That window site is fun!

Thread Information