Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Ideas

My kitchen is 11 x 11 in an 810 sq ft house. It’s just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Gorgeous!!

Here is one I just saved on Pinterest. It's the vibe I'm looking for in my house, even though my kids and even my friends like the "Crayola house" look (in just 700 square feet, my house has walls that are magenta, pink, green, blue, yellow, and red.)

https://town-n-country-living.com/fi...a-cottage.html
    Catherine, I love that cottage and all of its pastels. The style is highly suitable for your cottage.

My own house in Hermann which I call to myself a cottage is really more house-y than cottage-y, but it has cottage elements.I think of it as a ramshackle glam cottage. I’m currently debating with myself is there such a thing as too much bead board?

There was a time when I hated bead board. 30 years ago, I didn’t like it at all because it reminded me of every back porch in every old house I’ve ever been in. But now I like it and it’s going to be at in at least one of our bathrooms, maybe all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Love it! So cozy and charming.
    I like this one too, I have several like this pinned in Pinterest. I’m having a hard time of deciding on cabinetry for a Hermann house.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Gorgeous!!

Here is one I just saved on Pinterest. It's the vibe I'm looking for in my house, even though my kids and even my friends like the "Crayola house" look (in just 700 square feet, my house has walls that are magenta, pink, green, blue, yellow, and red.)

https://town-n-country-living.com/fi...a-cottage.html
    What a lovely, lovely cottage! I might choose a different exterior scheme, but otherwise...I've always loved beach or vacation houses, maybe because I was raised in one.

Rosa, I was amazed and relieved when DH agreed to hire the architect across the street for our Hermann house. There are so many things we can do to this 1400 square-foot house. Our heads were spinning.

The architect floated the idea of tearing it down and starting over. That’s a big nope for us. His second float was build an addition on the back that houses the staircase and expands upstairs bedrooms adds a bathroom. I was game for that but DH wasn’t. That is the approach that several houses on our block have had over the years from the same architect and the same builder. It takes advantage of this great view we all have.

But we went with keeping the exterior walls of the house, swapping out kitchen and staircase, and bumping out the upstairs half story with a big shed dormer that adds a small bathroom. We will also add a sunroom to the back.

A third-party saved us tons of fights.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My kitchen is 11 x 11 in an 810 sq ft house. It’s just perfect.
    Tammy, that's actually a pretty big kitchen for that size house. And it's square! Which I like. My 10' wall won't fit my fridge and I really wish it did.

I would have fought to the death for a view, IrisLily.

I go back and forth between uber-modern and cottage style houses.

Attachment 3357

I have looked at so many houses, kitchens, yards online since the pandemic that my head is spinning. New tract houses are butt-ugly IMO. Tunnel doorways, hog-nose garages, open concept, blah-blah. I love 1930s houses but they only still exist where we are looking in small towns one wouldn't want to live in. We are still actively looking and now thinking of building a small (1400sf or less), energy-efficient house on a lot. Perhaps Texas Hill Country style - stone with metal roof, screened in back porch.Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 12.28.20 PM.jpg

Geila - It was built in the 1920s in one of the first Phoenix suburbs. It has 4 primary rooms: kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms. And a little BR and a little laundry room also.

Our kitchen is 8x15. It’s a galley kitchen. Our house is 1400 sq ft. It’s efficient and we eat in the dining room.

Thread Information