Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I vote for Trump?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I have a friend from my College days who has taken ill and who lives in Tucson. Last weekend I went down to Tucson to visit and in Very Blue Tucson I was so embarrassed for the occupants of a Nissan Sentra with Pro Trump stickers on it. It just seemed so out of place and completely socially inappropriate for Tucson - though also a bit brave - I have to give the occupants of this Nissan Sentra that. Rob

Gee, I think we should be able to live next door to each other and have different points of view. Or even live with each other. Or drive down a street with the bumper sticker of our choice. If we put up walls to trying to understand each other, we are part of the problem.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Gee, I think we should be able to live next door to each other and have different points of view. Or even live with each other. Or drive down a street with the bumper sticker of our choice. If we put up walls to trying to understand each other, we are part of the problem.
    Catherine, certainly they are free to have Trump stickers on their Nissan. I looked the other way and said nothing and they were none the wiser. It's just out of place for Tucson. They broke no laws and can support whomever they please, with my approval not required. True fact. Rob

well, I still am not gonna put out my Thank You Police! yard sign in the midst of all these signs on my block that are Black Lives Matter and We Believe [in the rainbow stuff]. It seems insensitive at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Catherine, certainly they are free to have Trump stickers on their Nissan. I looked the other way and said nothing and they were none the wiser. It's just out of place for Tucson. They broke no laws and can support whomever they please, with my approval not required. True fact. Rob
    But maybe as part of your activism you could get the zoning board to prohibit habitation by anyone not approved by the neighborhood overseers or their college friends from elsewhere. You could consider it an act of kindness in limiting embarrassment for all involved with the added benefit of forcing everyone you disagree with to live somewhere more tolerant. Win/Win!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Sometimes there are things that are not understandable or forgivable. I have a few people I know who I truly do not want to get together with. I cannot understand voting for a one agenda item... ie abortion when this man has said and done so many egregious things. There is a point where enough is enough. I would prefer to not associate with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I get it.. it just seems like a sad sign of the times when people are so polarized. I don't remember people getting so tribal about their political beliefs. I'm the only progressive liberal in my mostly red neighborhood in VT. I guess I'm lucky they tolerate me and my Bernie sweatshirt.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don’t discuss politics with my neighbors and have no clue what they support. I was kidding about the strangling. I have lived in red states. Just not my preference. Nevada was red when I moved here.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Living in a sea of red when you are a democratic leaning independent is normally not a problem. I moved here before Obama’s first election and there was little fuss about it. I knew there were some people around me who disliked him but there were almost no political parades, signs or demonstrations. Very few people ever talked about politics. His second term, I started hearing falsehoods and rumors, like he was going to declare Marshall law and take away your guns, an occasional bumper sticker pro or con, but life went on.
    Once Trump started his rally’s there was a side of people unleashed for some Republicans and Democrats. Suddenly I would be somewhere and some loudmouth would be spouting pro or con Trump drivel in totally inappropriate settings. But the large majority just went their way.
    I will tell you one thing, next to four summers ago there are way fewer yard signs, bumper stickers and flags for either candidate. I used to see red MAGA hats when I walked or rode my bike but no more. Not that many people are out and about of course. It is early yet, though.

But after all all these comments, I am surprised that no actual forum member has provided much of an answer to Bae’s original question. On what merits or platform issues could you make an argument to vote for Trump? And not just Biden or Hillary negatives. Surely some forum members support him, even if it is for only one issue like abortion or immigration.

I get it.. it just seems like a sad sign of the times when people are so polarized. I don't remember people getting so tribal about their political beliefs.
    You can thank the national figurehead for accomplishing that. There’s not been a president in any of our lifetimes who has worked as hard as him on sowing the seeds of division and hate. And been so extremely successful at it.

Thread Information