Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Why should I vote for Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The strategically timed leaks will no doubt continue through October. In all candor, I have to admit that I have exploited certain provisions of the tax code to minimize my liability when the honorable thing would have been to pay more than required.
    That said, you probably aren't a self-proclaimed billionaire, and you probably paid more then $750. It makes me sick. My tax bill is typically anywhere between 25-35k. The fact that the President has paid nothing in taxes while conferring huge tax benefits to the wealthy and doing virtually nothing for the middle class while somehow hypnotizing them into believing that he is their savior is beyond the pale. There's something wrong with the tax code, or there's something wrong with Trump. Or both

"Only the little people pay taxes." --Leona Helmsley
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The strategically timed leaks will no doubt continue through October. In all candor, I have to admit that I have exploited certain provisions of the tax code to minimize my liability when the honorable thing would have been to pay more than required.
    No such duty.

"Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of morals is mere cant." Judge Learned Hand

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The fact that the President has paid nothing in taxes ...
    This fact tells us nothing about the moral/ethical situation, without looking at the details of the return. It is certainly possible that legitimate losses offset any income, without any skullduggery or fraud involved.

I routinely arrange my affairs so that I only pay taxes every few years, essentially by realizing a loss that I then strategically "mine" for losses to offset income.

The simple high level fact that Trump paid no taxes tells me little.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    This fact tells us nothing about the moral/ethical situation, without looking at the details of the return. It is certainly possible that legitimate losses offset any income, without any skullduggery or fraud involved.

I routinely arrange my affairs so that I only pay taxes every few years, essentially by realizing a loss that I then strategically "mine" for losses to offset income.

The simple high level fact that Trump paid no taxes tells me little.
    I think I need a better accountant.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I think I need a better accountant.
    I do my own taxes. With Turbotax. It's not rocket science. It handles depreciation and foreign tax credits and all sorts of other complicated stuff, and properly manages the eventual reckoning that is required.

I'd love to see what specifics there are in these new tax returns that are questionable. I suspect there may be some....ambitious claims... lurking in there, but that's just because the fellow seems to have an interesting approach to the truth. Surely there are some?

That’s a big amount of taxes Catherine. We also pay more than Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I do my own taxes. With Turbotax. It's not rocket science. It handles depreciation and foreign tax credits and all sorts of other complicated stuff, and properly manages the eventual reckoning that is required.

I'd love to see what specifics there are in these new tax returns that are questionable. I suspect there may be some....ambitious claims... lurking in there, but that's just because the fellow seems to have an interesting approach to the truth. Surely there are some?
    I do mine, too, with TurboTax, and mine definitely isn't rocket science. Basically, I made this much money, so these are my taxes. Even the itemized deductions are gone with the standard deduction being doubled. I was hoping that renting my house to my son would yield some benefits, but not so much.

That said, you probably aren't a self-proclaimed billionaire, and you probably paid more then $750. It makes me sick. My tax bill is typically anywhere between 25-35k. The fact that the President has paid nothing in taxes while conferring huge tax benefits to the wealthy and doing virtually nothing for the middle class while somehow hypnotizing them into believing that he is their savior is beyond the pale. There's something wrong with the tax code, or there's something wrong with Trump. Or both

"Only the little people pay taxes." --Leona Helmsley
    The fact that sometimes you and I booked a better year than Trump doesn’t really prove illegality or even bad ethics.

What would seem to be illegal and unethical to me is peddling stolen documents and violating an individual’s privacy in the hope of causing political damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think of the presidency as more of a figure head position with the real power belonging to the Congress. I'll vote a straight Republican ticket in hopes of achieving a Republican majority in both houses. I think it's more important than ever to do that at this point in history because it appears the far left is taking over the Democratic Party and I think that's a bad thing. ....
    The idea that the Democratic party is some bastion of left-wing philosophy is just laughable to me. There are a few lone voices arguing for a more citizen-centered system, but in the main I see it as Republican-lite--at least in the way Republicans used to be. I would be thrilled with a much more progressive direction for this country, and I hope it evolves that way, but I doubt I'll be around to see it. Joe Biden seems to be a decent man, and probably competent, but he's certainly no reformer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Joe Biden seems to be a decent man, and probably competent, but he's certainly no reformer.
    Do you think Biden would complete a full term in office?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information